Senior Discounts for Everyone

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My wife and I have been invited to lunches and dinners. On three occasions, the host asked for our American driver's licenses. Two restaurants accepted them for the senior discount. One did not claiming it should be a passport. This is new to us, but relatives and friends explained that the discounts are for seniors irregardless of nationality.

Anyone with a similar experience?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Was this the USA or the Philippines?  There was an effort to extend the senior discount to non-Philippine citizens a couple of years ago but it did not happen.  Only Philippines can "legally" avail of the discount.  I have heard that some restaurants will give an expat a senior discount if requested.  I have personally not seen that happen or requested one myself.   In the USA senior discounting in restaurants is a widespread practice for seniors but not law.  Citizenship is not a factor in the USA, only age, and it is extended as a courtesy and an effort to gain repeat business.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Was this the USA or the Philippines?  There was an effort to extend the senior discount to non-Philippine citizens a couple of years ago but it did not happen.  Only Philippines can "legally" avail of the discount.  I have heard that some restaurants will give an expat a senior discount if requested.  I have personally not seen that happen or requested one myself.   In the USA senior discounting in restaurants is a widespread practice for seniors but not law.  Citizenship is not a factor in the USA, only age, and it is extended as a courtesy and an effort to gain repeat business.

This is in the Philippines. We were surprised because our interpretation of the law is similar to yours. Only for local residents. Maybe it is just in Makati, the most liberal and generous city when it comes to benefits for seniors. We were also with locals and our driver's licenses were included with their senior cards for the discount.  I believe it is limited to restaurants.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The law says they do not have to give discount to non-Philippine citizens but it does not say they cannot do that.

Its only good business to give senior's discounts and some restaurants offer that to expats.  Its just a promo, like buy 4 buffet dinners and have a 5th person dine free.  I think you have found some good places to eat :-)

Also, if you want the legally mandated senior discount you are required to show the official card, unless that changed while I was sleeping :Count_Sheep:

• Like 3

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

Have you ever tried just walking away if the merchant tells you that you don't qualify for the discount.

If he sees that he is losing business, maybe his attitude will change.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Happyhorn52 said:

I Doubt that, he knows that he will be breaking the law to give a mandated OAP discount to those without the proper Documentation

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

I Doubt that, he knows that he will be breaking the law to give a mandated OAP discount to those without the proper Documentation

He would be breaking the law if he filed for reimbursement under the mandated OAP discount. There is no law to break that forbids him from giving a discount to anyone. Expats asking for and receiving discounts is perfectly legal, the problem comes in when one unlawfully asks, or has a card and demands a discount under the program which is for citizens only.

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Happyhorn52 said:

Have you ever tried just walking away if the merchant tells you that you don't qualify for the discount.

I assume that is before you have eaten.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

A few Sundays ago I went downtown for something.The night before I had been to a party.I was hungry so I went in Jollybees for something quick.When I was being served the girl at the till asked me if I wanted senior discount,I started laughing and told her no thank you I still have a few years to go and I don`t qualify.I must have looked haggard after that party on the Saturday.

• Like 4

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, jpbago said:

I assume that is before you have eaten.

Yes, walk away if you have not eaten, and run like hell if you have eaten.

• Like 4