Fork and spoon versus knife

Jake
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I have no problem eating with my fingers. In the Navy we called it the "Filipino fork".  

But from my 27 year Hindu phase one must remember: the left hand cleans the body, the right hand feeds the body.

Regarding eating with your fingers, I was never comfortable using that method -- it was usually messy and Judy would laugh at me, as she has one foot on the seat (half squat) while using the Filipino fork. 

Oh by the way, can I be a Hindu too?  I like that phrase of left hand cleans the body, the right hand feels the body.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Actually my dear wife quite often eats with just her fingers, much to my annoyance, I'm told it is  a acceptable native tradition.

I don't participate, as my fingers are sensitive to heat!

Chinese eat with their fingers hence finger bowls are placed on the table.

Ever tried eating spare ribs with chopsticks? :hystery:

A prospective father in law once asked me if I ever eat with my fingers to which I answered of course not, I make them eat by themselves, then I admitted that I had never actually caught my fingers eating.:smile: It caused some :89:.

• Like 4

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

This has been an informative thread.  I had automatically assumed it was filipino men who prohibited their wives from having sharp things like knives at the table in case the subject of their mistress came up. :SugarwareZ-005::56da64b64cbd8_36_6_31:

From what I've heard, if a Filipina catches you forking and spooning another, out will come the knife.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 5

jpbago
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I did hear that during WW2 the Japanese banned them from using knives so that is why it is the way it is.How true that story is I have no idea.

My 86 year old MIL says that is true. Then came out 1 hour of stories as she was 12 to 15 years old during the Big One. She has Alzheimer's and can't remember what she ate for lunch but her long term memory is quite good.

• Like 5

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jake said:

Oh by the way, can I be a Hindu too?  I like that phrase of left hand cleans the body, the right hand feels the body.

You seem to have misquoted me, sir.  The right hand feeds the body not *feels*.  It takes both hands for that!  :tiphat:

• Like 5

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I had forgotten the difficulty of eating local rice using chopsticks. It is too dry compared to Japanese and Chine which are more moist and slightly sticky. You need a spoon!

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

or fingures

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 03/02/2017 at 5:41 AM, Kuya John said:

Chinese eat with their fingers hence finger bowls are placed on the table.

Ever tried eating spare ribs with chopsticks? :hystery:

I have to respectfuly disagree:

In China it's rather bad form to eat with one's fingers. The little bowls on the table are teacups (it's an art to pick them up without scalding your fingers).

Restaurants serving meat on the bone, such as pork knuckle, give the diners disposable plastic gloves so they don't actually touch the food.

I have eaten spare ribs (and pork chops) with chopsticks. Since you can't get much leverage with chopsticks it helps to have sharp front teeth.

:SugarwareZ-005:

Edited by not so old china hand
Punctuation
  • Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, not so old china hand said:

I have to respectfuly disagree:

In China it's rather bad form to eat with one's fingers. The little bowls on the table are teacups (it's an art to pick them up without scalding your fingers).

Restaurants serving meat on the bone, such as pork knuckle, give the diners disposable plastic gloves so they don't actually touch the food.

I have eaten spare ribs (and pork chops) with chopsticks. Since you can't get much leverage with chopsticks it helps to have sharp front teeth.

:SugarwareZ-005:

I bow to greater knowledge with regards to China,

However my statement was in reference to Chinese restaurants in UK mainly, but up till now, I have never been offered plastic gloves to eat finger food anywhere I have travelled. a bowl of hot water and a towel yes. Must get my dentures sharpened :hystery:

• Like 5