Being a farmer
2 2

30 posts in this topic

ID: 1   Posted

Hi Old Hands,

I have this idea of becoming a farmer in the PI.  It wouldn't be anything large scale, just a big enough truck garden to sell vegetables to the sellers in the market, just enough to make $8-$10 a day, just something to keep me busy and in the community.  Is a small pastime like this even possible?  If I grew enough vegetables to sell, would I find a buyer for them?  Could I make $8-$10 a day selling vegetables?  What do you think of this idea?  Thank you.

1 person likes this

ID: 2   Posted

If you an experienced farmer ?‍? familiar with local produce and own a large fertile track it may be possible to grow enough to provide a small profit.

If you are successful it's possible indigenous producers will take issue with it. If you aid your family in this endeavor a happy outcome is much more likely. Or better yet donate produce to the local Church or Barangary charity.

2 people like this

ID: 3   Posted

9 hours ago, Shoestring said:

Hi Old Hands,

I have this idea of becoming a farmer in the PI.  It wouldn't be anything large scale, just a big enough truck garden to sell vegetables to the sellers in the market, just enough to make $8-$10 a day, just something to keep me busy and in the community.  Is a small pastime like this even possible?  If I grew enough vegetables to sell, would I find a buyer for them?  Could I make $8-$10 a day selling vegetables?  What do you think of this idea?  Thank you.

You should look for locations where the climate/soil is better for growing vegetables. Most vegetables are grown up a mountain at elevation where the climate is a bit cooler.

3 people like this

ID: 4   Posted

You can find buyers for your produce. The problem is getting paid. Supermarkets typically take 9 months to pay if you are a major supplier. The average is 12 months for small farmers. If you have relatives and friends, everyone will want free samples. You risk their ire if you are a non-conformist to the local system of sharing.

3 people like this

ID: 5   Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Shoestring said:

Hi Old Hands,

I think you would do much better just growing for yourself and forget about selling for profit. Possibly you could barter some of what you grow for what you need. Remember that the first person you annoy will report you to the BIR who would probably just ignore a Filipino.... but you're not a Filipino, are you? Worse yet you may not be reported for years and without all relevant paperwork, permits, receipts, records of taxes paid, fines and interest might add up. You are a foreigner and have a large dollar sign shaped target on your back. Grow your own food? No problem. Involve anyone else as a customer, you had better abide by all rules. In my humble opinion you have more to lose than to gain by selling.

Edited by robert k
7 people like this

ID: 6   Posted

11 hours ago, Shoestring said:

Could I make $8-$10 a day selling vegetables?

Yes.  I knew a man named Alan, (rest his soul), who did that.  He and his wife had a market stall in a small town where he made about that much profit per day.  His wife sat there most of the day, chatting with the other ladies who dropped in and she loved that.  Old Alan enjoyed the company of other expats dropping by and buying a cup of 3 in 1 coffee and some of his vegetables.

But he could not do it by growing them.  Due to differences in soil and climate, the growing techniques he used in Australia just did not work here and he could not grow veggies nearly as cheap as he could buy them for.  So once a day he made a trip up to his 'secret' veggie market in the mountains where he had learned to negotiate well with the local farmers and he bought low, took the produce to town, and sold high.  Pretty easy to do if you only need to earn 500 pesos profit a day.  Well it was pretty easy for him after he spent 30 years in Philippines trying every other way he knew to make a few bucks :Caught: and then realized this was the easiest way to do it.

In addition, he was a friendly chap and made a lot of foreign friends so whenever there was a party, Alan and his family got invited . . . Free Food :hystery:  But he was well liked and that IS the secret.

7 people like this

ID: 7   Posted

Wow, everyone!  Your replies are the best advice I have ever received.  You guys are great.  Thank you.

2 people like this

ID: 8   Posted

I have heard of a Foreigner from these parts who grows lettuce and makes some money that way.If you are going to do it I would suggest you try to grow things like Sprouts,Parsnip,Swede,Broad beans etc which are hard to come by in most places I have been to and once word gets around expats are likely to buy from you on  a regular basis.

2 people like this

ID: 9   Posted

Sell your vegetables to wholesalers at the mercado (market) in your local area and near by municipalities. That's what we do with our milled rice.

4 people like this

sonjack2847 and JimmyJay, thank you.  Everyone's response has given me a lot to consider.