Being a farmer
2 2

30 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Anyone who really needs that 500 pesos a day ain't gonna have any free time. :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:If the opening poster is just looking for an "extra 500 a day" and does not realize he may be putting in 10 to 12 hours days to get it then he will be in for a shock :7500:

The late Alan that you mentioned in post 6 had it right. He and his wife enjoyed the sales and the people that they met but if one is to farm to sell to eat day by day, then it is work that might not be so enjoyable or profitable.

5 people like this

With the amount of new bikes and little pick ups about in the Province, someone is making Money, Every night nearly I see these little pickups loaded going to the local farmers market here in Dumaguete ( Bagacay & Daro) so seems 500 per day is achievable :89:

1 person likes this

Is that true?  I'll need to work ten to twelve hours a day to make $8-$10 a day?  I don't know what I was thinking when I  thought about selling vegetables to make $8-$10 a day, but I sure wasn't thinking about those kind of hours.  I guess if it took Alan thirty years to discover his selling in the market idea, I will have to be more patient about finding my money-making idea.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Shoestring said:

I will have to be more patient about finding my money-making idea.

Yes, you will have to be patient, or lucky, or have a highly marketable and desirable skill to find a money-making idea. Us average folk have to put in a lot of hours here to make those 500 pesos.  I can do it by writing articles for other people's blogs but all things considered, its a 6 to 7 hour day to net 500 pesos average per day.  Some do better, some do worse.  Point is that 500 pesos a day is achievable in many ways but 500p is a GOOD full day's pay here, by local standards, and often a full day's work.

6 people like this

I'll agree anything that takes manual labour to earn a wage over here is a bit of a no go. A good friend who has run businesses over here was discussing an idea I had prior to moving over. I laid my plans out using a skill I acquired in my previous job to make decent money. After I gave him my business plan he pretty much told me to employ a maid on a set wage per month. As I'm single and pretty domesticated she'd have very little to do but I could train her to do the manual side of my business which pretty much consists of sitting at a table with a soldering iron.

She would replace second hand parts on a circuit board with new parts and once completed just leave them on the table. I'd then use a special piece of software to virginise the items making them new. She wouldn't see what I did and next day when she arrived the items would be ready for her to take away and post. He calculated that one item paid for 3 days of her time and in between the soldering she would do my washing and shopping.

It certainly made sense to me. My side of the work takes about 5 seconds and I'd be free to do what I wished during the day. I came here to retire and enjoy life not to work until I die.

4 people like this

13 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Anyone who really needs that 500 pesos a day ain't gonna have any free time. :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:If the opening poster is just looking for an "extra 500 a day" and does not realize he may be putting in 10 to 12 hours days to get it then he will be in for a shock :7500:

Now you're talking and making sense.

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

500p is a GOOD full day's pay here, by local standards, and often a full day's work.

Exactly..........................

1 person likes this

Farming, fishing, raising pigs, etc.....all dependent on the season.  During typhoon flood conditions, your hard earned profits are spent doing what?  Plus road to market may need repairs and you need a carabao to get to the nearest cold beer.

Many stories are told here about easy start ups with a simple family sari-sari store.  Unfortunately ROI (return of investment) are eaten up by family members with lousy book keeping practices.  Why murder ourselves with daily back breaking work and unnecessary stress that will put us in a grave sooner?

Just stop and smell the sampaguita.....with a warm companion and cold San Magoo.

Hey Joe buy me Drink.JPG 

3 people like this

ID: 29   Posted (edited)

On 3/5/2017 at 1:42 AM, Steve GCC said:

Like PaulB, excellent piloting skills using a drone with an HD camera.  Your property reminds me of a tranquil hacienda overlooking a magnificent vineyard.  Well done Steve!

Edited by Jake
2 people like this

Any $ idea that is labor based is going to generally be crappy...anywhere in the world. Not just in PH. The idea is to accumulate some capital, and then have your capital work for you...not your own labor. As for me, I'll work until I drop dead whether I am rich or poor. 

3 people like this