How close are you to your Philippine immediate family and relatives?

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

"No good deed goes unpunished." :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

38 minutes ago, Mike J said:

In many cases, but not all, it seems to progress from gratitude, to expectations, to "What have you done for me lately".  I think it is a cultural bias that is sort of baked into the Philippine culture.  A family member who is successful is expected to share the bounty with extended family or face criticism or loss of "hiya".  You might want to google "Philippine culture hiya" as it doesn't have a real solid comparison in USA culture.  It won't change how they act but may help you to understand why they act that way.  In our family it is a mixed bag and it can certainly be frustrating at times.  I am sometimes reminded of the saying; "No good deed goes unpunished." :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

I totally understand and agree with what you're saying Mike. The saying "you're damned if you do, damned if you don't" comes to mind at times too. It's just good to hear that we're not the only ones that share these expectations at times.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

How close are you to your Philippine immediate family and relatives?

Sometimes Too Close :whistling: Love Them but..................:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

For my husband, he seems to have the closest and most understanding relationship with his brothers living here. He truly sees himself as "his brother's keeper" in the Filipino sense, because he feels that he has been blessed and lucky in his life, and he wants to especially give back to them. They seem to understand his love and care for them in particular, and it seems appreciated too. He seems at times satisfied with these simple ties, in spite of the sense that they might be the only ones that make sense.

• Like 5

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, intrepid said:

47 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

My husband, as a Filipino that spent several years living abroad in a western culture, it seems particularly hurtful and frustrating for him at times.

This statement in itself could be another topic. 

I agree that perceptions of partners that have seen and experienced different cultures might feel differently than others. I agree intrepid, that could be a whole new topic for discussion.

• Like 3