Good variety of Phillips LED lightbulbs in Cebu?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Looking to buy LED lightbulbs in Cebu City area. Anyone have an idea who stocks a good selection of Phillips LED bulbs. Ace hardware and?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Looking to buy LED lightbulbs in Cebu City area. Anyone have an idea who stocks a good selection of Phillips LED bulbs. Ace hardware and?

We always use Polaris here in Dumaguete, do you not have an Electrical Supply Company there, The are usually much Cheaper. On Sundays if we heed, Handyman (Robinsons) is our answer

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thanks Jack, will have them look for Polaris hardware.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

Thanks Jack, will have them look for Polaris hardware.

sorry  LITTLE  little correction here my fault, Polaris is the main Electrical  Equipment supplier here in Dumaguete "Annas" is another they are names of Companies What i mean is surely there are Electrical Supply Companies similar that you could  source such as ;

http://www.philippinecompanies.com/location/cebu-city?what=electric-supplies :thumbsup:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

Do you have good experiences with your Phillips LED bulbs?  I am trying my first one, 2 days ago.

When I moved in here and put new fixtures in, I bought all Omni 9 watt 2-tone (daylight-warm light) LED for my recessed can lights, from the lighting shop where I bought the fixtures..  They started failing right away and I have been replacing them under warranty with 9 watt daylight LED.  I think I have returned 15 + bulbs.  The 9 watt daylights have failed too.

I went back to exchange 5 more a few day ago.  One was 2-tone (the last of the first 10) and the other four, 9 watt daylight.  He did not have any more 9 watt and said he would not carry them anymore due to the failure rate.  So I got three 13 watt and two 6 watt.

The first 13 watt I screwed in blew when I flipped the switch.  The others are fine so far.

The guy suggested and I might agree that I have a power problem.  He mentioned the freeport in general.  I tested my voltage a few places and I an right at 240.  All the LED brands I have checked so far are rated for 220-240, so I am right on the border.

I did not return the 13 watt yet but I bought a Phillips 9 watt elsewhere, for less than Omni.  I think it was about p150.  Maybe I will have better luck with Phillips.  Phillips is carried at many places now so I don't think you will have a problem finding them.  I bought this one at a small hardware store.

Sorry for slightly hijacking your thread.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

You are a better man than me! I would have gone back to quality fluorescent bulbs after the second one blew. I though LEDs were supposed to last longer?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, robert k said:

You are a better man than me! I would have gone back to quality fluorescent bulbs after the second one blew. I though LEDs were supposed to last longer?

Most claim 10 years!  I'm getting them replaced for free under warranty.

I have other LEDs that are working great and have been around for quite a while.  Now that I think about it, it is these recessed ceiling can lights are the only time I have had issues with LEDs.  I bought them all at the same time, same brand.  Perhaps they have a defect??

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Don't think that you are supposed to use in recessed fixtures....try fluorescent in the cans. 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Do you have good experiences with your Phillips LED bulbs?  I am trying my first one, 2 days ago.

When I moved in here and put new fixtures in, I bought all Omni 9 watt 2-tone (daylight-warm light) LED for my recessed can lights, from the lighting shop where I bought the fixtures..  They started failing right away and I have been replacing them under warranty with 9 watt daylight LED.  I think I have returned 15 + bulbs.  The 9 watt daylights have failed too.

I went back to exchange 5 more a few day ago.  One was 2-tone (the last of the first 10) and the other four, 9 watt daylight.  He did not have any more 9 watt and said he would not carry them anymore due to the failure rate.  So I got three 13 watt and two 6 watt.

The first 13 watt I screwed in blew when I flipped the switch.  The others are fine so far.

The guy suggested and I might agree that I have a power problem.  He mentioned the freeport in general.  I tested my voltage a few places and I an right at 240.  All the LED brands I have checked so far are rated for 220-240, so I am right on the border.

I did not return the 13 watt yet but I bought a Phillips 9 watt elsewhere, for less than Omni.  I think it was about p150.  Maybe I will have better luck with Phillips.  Phillips is carried at many places now so I don't think you will have a problem finding them.  I bought this one at a small hardware store.

Sorry for slightly hijacking your thread.

You make a good point.

Phillips LED bulbs have a good reputation, I know from my own experience . It would be my guess there are a number of Chinese brands found in Philippines some good but for sure some not so much. An incandescent bulb is extremely forgiving to voltage changes but an LED much less so. So if your local grid has voltage swings LEDs may be a poor choice. 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Just now, Gerald Glatt said:

Don't think that you are supposed to use in recessed fixtures....try fluorescent in the cans. 

Yes, that is correct. You must use LED bulbs specifically made for recessed fixtures.