Receiving Package from Abroad, Fedex Vs. DHL?

momo034
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

My parents plant to send me a package from the US.  It will contain personal items, some of which are expensive (A phone and a camera lens).  Nothing is new though, it is all my old personal things, including lens and phone (used).  

What are your experiences receiving personal packages via express services like FEDEX and DHL?  Are they going to make huge delays and ask for crazy amounts of customs fees and taxes?

Are my chances for a speedy and tax free delivery better with DHL or FEDEX?

Or any  other tricks you can share to get a package delivered without this kind of delay/cost?

Thank you!

Gary D
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, momo034 said:

Hi all,

My parents plant to send me a package from the US.  It will contain personal items, some of which are expensive (A phone and a camera lens).  Nothing is new though, it is all my old personal things, including lens and phone (used).  

What are your experiences receiving personal packages via express services like FEDEX and DHL?  Are they going to make huge delays and ask for crazy amounts of customs fees and taxes?

Or any  other tricks you can share to get a package delivered without this kind of delay/cost?

Thank you!

If you use Fedex, DHL etc. you will pay import duty, you could be caned. If you are not in a hurry use a Balikbayan box.

• Like 5

SNAFU
Posted
Posted

robert k
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, momo034 said:

Hi all,

Thank you!

I think they will tax you as if the phone was new. The camera lens could be anywhere from they don't care up to, we are charging you so much because we don't know what to charge!

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, momo034 said:

Hi all,

Thank you!

Don't do it.  You will probably regret it.  Either have somebody hand carry it or send it via Balikbayan box.

I used to work for one of those companies and duties/taxes on personal shipments was a big complaint item, even thought the company did not control it.

It is not just the Philippines.  Some other countries hit you hard with duties and taxes.  When I was living in Germany, my elderly mother sent me, via mail, a wool sweater, for Christmas.  It cost about $80 in the U.S. and I had to pay over 100 euro to get it!  Germany has/had big duties on clothing.

• Like 2

momo034
Posted
Posted

Damn....that sucks.  Thanks for the responses.  So frustrating that you can pay crazy amounts to have something shipped with a company like fedex only to be delayed and robbed on the receiving end.  I don't have time for Balikbayan box.  Not sure what to do now...will have to think it over.  Thanks for the help

• Like 2

SNAFU
Posted
Posted

Yep...good, fast, cheap - you can only pick two.  :shades:

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

This might be an option http://www.bayanihancargo.com/air_cargo.php#air-to-door  for you. They offer an air freight door to door service (it's not cheap). I used it once and it took a couple of weeks and no customs issues.

• Like 4