Asia's Ugly Duckling of the Year Is the Philippine Peso

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

The Bloomberg estimate of 52.50 by the end of the year is what caught my eye. It's useful information for anyone contemplating making a large purchase like for a car or a condo.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Gator said:

More then likely the same way China does it = currency manipulation.

Good luck with the move!

Probably Gator, I know they were buying currency when the Red Shirt Government (Thaksin) was in power, but now they are cash strapped so don't know where they are getting the money from?

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

When the US dollar is so high then some (many) Americans treat pesos like peanuts.  I have a good friend who goes in for a 40 peso haircut and gives the barber 100 pesos.

It has gotten so bad now that I don't even go for a haircut.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 3/14/2017 at 11:43 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

why not make him feel good and give him a big tip.

OK, my bad.  I did something similar when I was intoxicated a couple nights back.  I was sitting with a friend having beers when this lady of the evening came by and offered her "services" for a fee.  I asked how old she was and she said 18 (big surprise).  So I asked her why she wants to come home with an old bugger like me and she said "I gotta eat" so I gave a 200 peso tip and told her she don't have to **** me to eat and to take her gf that was with her and go get something to eat. I don't usually go around handing out money like that but a little beer and a soft heart and I totally understand why some people give big tips.  Of course I'm sure the girl thought I was an idiot and I bet my companion thought the same but I'll leave that to him to explain if he wants to chime in here. (Yes he is a member but shall remain nameless unless he chooses to admit.)

• Like 5

jpbago
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Of course I'm sure the girl thought I was an idiot and I bet my companion thought the same

Maybe your companion waited until they ate and then got a good deal.

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, jpbago said:

Ya know, its entirely possible and I would not blame him.  I was only mentioning the story to show how soft hearts and beer bellies tend to make a guy leave bigger tips than he should here in Philippines.

• Like 4

Reboot
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Ya know, its entirely possible and I would not blame him.  I was only mentioning the story to show how soft hearts and beer bellies tend to make a guy leave bigger tips than he should here in Philippines.

I try to leave tips but my Filipina mostly stuffs it right back in my pocket!

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, jpbago said:

:mocking:

• Like 2