Water Heater Died

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Not sure where to put this, so here it is.

I have a AEG water heater, see pic.  It died.  Actually I have 2 of this model and this one is around 7 years old and the other is three, according the former owner.  This model, BS 35e, is currently p6200 at Handyman.

I opened it up, tested the electric line in and also the water line in for clogs.  I downloaded the manual and they don't have much on trouble shooting.  It must be a burnt capacitor or something like that, but there are no visible issues with the electronics.

My BIL says they can be fixed and the guy at Handyman said they can be fixed but he did not know the price.  The AEG rep was supposed to call me but nothing yet.

Has anybody had these fixed or you just buy new?  Inquiring minds want to know.

DSCN3478-001.JPG

• Like 1

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

Im sure you could get them fixed, especially given how adaptable and inventive the Filipinos are!!

I opted for a 50l storage main tank in our house that feeds bathrooms, kitchens etc...............

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Keep an eye out for someone local who does electrical repairs...  I just had a fan repaired for P350 by a guy who rides the streets in the subdivision on his bike while calling out that he repairs fans.  He told me the local shop would have charged me at least P800 and I already knew the company repair depot wanted P1200.  Heck!  I bought the fan on sale for P600 2 years ago.  Replacement cost for same make and similar model is now P1600.  

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Steve GCC said:

Im sure you could get them fixed, especially given how adaptable and inventive the Filipinos are!!

I opted for a 50l storage main tank in our house that feeds bathrooms, kitchens etc...............

I have lived in 3 houses here on the ex U.S. Navy base and they all had the original Navy central electric water heater setup.  However, the guy who lived in this house before I bought it took out the central heater and just installed these two small instant heaters in the two showers.  So, no hot water for washing dishes or the bathroom sinks or washing clothes.

In cold climates, the central systems might be inefficient and expensive for electricity or gas, and waste water, but here in the tropics I don't think they cost much to run and I don't know why people are so eager to replace them.  They probably see a high cost when the central tank needs replacement, and opt for the instant heaters.  Also, Filipinos don't seem to see value in using hot water for washing dishes and clothes.

The piping and electric for the old system are all still there.  When I remodel in a few years I might consider going back to that system but for now I will just fix or replace the failed instant heater.

When I lived in Germany in an apartment, I had one instant heater that served the kitchen sink and the bathroom.  It worked great and could deliver a lot of hot water on demand at a good pressure.  With the freezing winters there, that was a very good option.  The supply water in the Philippines (at lower elevations) never gets very cold, so a central system doesn't have to work very hard to keep a full tank of hot water.

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, i am bob said:

Keep an eye out for someone local who does electrical repairs...  I just had a fan repaired for P350 by a guy who rides the streets in the subdivision on his bike while calling out that he repairs fans.  He told me the local shop would have charged me at least P800 and I already knew the company repair depot wanted P1200.  Heck!  I bought the fan on sale for P600 2 years ago.  Replacement cost for same make and similar model is now P1600.  

I wish my BIL in Bohol were closer.  He has a shop and is a wiz at fixing small electrics.  Maybe I should send it to him LBC!

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

If you have a meter, check to see if you're getting power to the heating coil...  Probably not but, if you are, it's the heating coil that's shot...  More likely that it's the control package and it might be easier to just get a new one to put in (rather than repairing)...

• Like 4

SNAFU
Posted
Posted

Ditto Bob, we had one (identical to yours, BTW) "fixed", too, but I can't recall the actual diagnosis. It had something to do with the temp selector, in fact, he didn't even replace anything, just took the cover off and piddled around with it for a few minutes. Troubleshot by the AC/appliance guy who was here to replace the fan motor in our Kenmore fridge, he didn't even charge us for the shower heater. That was almost 3 years ago, it's still working fine.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, i am bob said:

If you have a meter, check to see if you're getting power to the heating coil...  Probably not but, if you are, it's the heating coil that's shot...  More likely that it's the control package and it might be easier to just get a new one to put in (rather than repairing)...

The main power in is ok, but no lights come on at all.  Standing on a stool, in the shower, in dim light, I tried to track some of the wires down to the heating coil but it was a bit dicey, so I didn't really do anything.  I didn't want to fry myself.

BTW, you may have noticed the label on the housing that says the heating element has a 5 year warranty.  At 7 years old, I would say there is a good chance it is the heating element.  It that part costs much to replace, I would just get a new heater.

While I have the attention of those that have far greater electrical knowledge that I.....

Take a look at the specs below.  I have the 35e.  Why would I buy the 45e or 60e?  Better performance but more juice used?  I wouldn't mind improving performance and I'm not worried about the cost as it is used infrequently.  I already have a 30 amp breaker so should I upgrade to the 45e?  I don't think the cost is much more.

Fullscreen capture 3152017 112700 PM.jpg

• Like 1