Water Heater Died

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Old55 said:

We have a tankless water heater for the whole house and love it. It in fact has a small 2 gal tank.

Oxy.jpg

fascinating.jpeg

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 5/22/2017 at 2:26 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

A few days my water heater would not come on so had to investigate why.It was simple after unscrewing the hose from the head. So much black crap came out which was stopped by the filter in the end of the shower head. Also a lot of coarse stuff that looks like and feels like metal shavings. Again today it stopped working so did the same, the filter is blocked so the heater thinks the water is off if there is not enough water getting through. 

I had downloaded the manual when mine quit and it said this was the first thing to check.

Sounds like your water pipes are in bad shape.  Not sure how to solve that long term.

robert k
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I had downloaded the manual when mine quit and it said this was the first thing to check.

Sounds like your water pipes are in bad shape.  Not sure how to solve that long term.

Lots of junk can get in when there is a break or a tie in for new service is made.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, robert k said:

Lots of junk can get in when there is a break or a tie in for new service is made.

Here in Talay,just below Valencia,they turn the water off each night.This make the pipes run dry and as most of the pipes are metal this in turn causes them to rot.This is also a cause for crap in the pipes.You should also be cleaning the holes in the shower head out,you can do this with a toothpick by putting  it through each hole.This will remove limescale and other debrit..On a shower unit there may also be a filter on the water inlet as well as elsewhere.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Have we ever looked inside the toilet tanks? Ours is black slimy. The water supply is not good.

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jpbago said:

Have we ever looked inside the toilet tanks? Ours is black slimy. The water supply is not good.

Mine was nice and clean, cap full of bleach every week and let it sit overnight.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, robert k said:

Mine was nice and clean, cap full of bleach every week and let it sit overnight.

Yes I do the same.If it is slimey black then it has bacteria which is not good.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, robert k said:

I am concerned about bleach getting into my septic tank killing the bacteria and then having to do a pump out/dig out.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, jpbago said:

I am concerned about bleach getting into my septic tank killing the bacteria and then having to do a pump out/dig out.

If you use a small amount as Robert is saying one time per week it should cause no damage.Don`t forget a lot of household cleaners contain a bleaching agent.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, jpbago said:

It is my belief that your concern is not justified.  Bleach is chlorine.  In small quantities it is added to many public water supplies.  So there is already a capful or two of bleach getting into your septic tank.  Besides that, does the water from your shower go into your septic where the toilet goes?