UK Child Support Agency

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Dear Members

I have just caught up with a Filipina lady, in the Philippines,who I knew a long time ago who was with a British guy for 6 years and has a son by him. he went to Africa to work and took up with an African lady and has abandoned the lady and son.

She was asking me if she is able to apply for any child support as he gives nothing towards the upkeep of his son. Do any members know if she was to approach the British Embassy would they be able to guide her on what to do or is there anything else she can do to try and get support?

She knows where the guy works in Africa.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Paul

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, PaulB said:

Dear Members

I have just caught up with a Filipina lady, in the Philippines,who I knew a long time ago who was with a British guy for 6 years and has a son by him. he went to Africa to work and took up with an African lady and has abandoned the lady and son.

She was asking me if she is able to apply for any child support as he gives nothing towards the upkeep of his son. Do any members know if she was to approach the British Embassy would they be able to guide her on what to do or is there anything else she can do to try and get support?

Odd this, we (Sonjack)  & I Were only talking about this yesterday, We are of the Opinion that this agency within the DHSS (Department of Health and Social Security) in the UK no longer exists, Due mainly we believe through misadministration. The Lady may get some advice for the Embassy but I would very much doubt much help, the Philippines as with many countries around the world have many errant fathers and little recourse. She could try the DWP  (Department of Works and Pensions) [if he is receiving a pension] to try and get an attachment of pension but if he is still working I fear that would be an end to the Story. Can you imagine this here in the PI people can move about so much these days & never be traced unless there is a concrete situation getting an attachment of Earnings ( Deduction from Wages) is hard enough in the UK so I would not hold My breath on anything, especially in Africa.  

Sorry to read about this and I can only hope that she can get lucky somewhere along the way:smile:

Note; If and I doubt it, she had an NI (national insurance Number) number she could start with the Inland Revenue in Newcastle, they could tell if he is back in the UK

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/income-tax-enquiries-for-individuals-pensioners-and-employees

Best of luck on this my friend

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

The CSA no longer take on new cases without payment from the parent requesting maintenance. They also have a list of reciprocal countries where they can chase up payments. The Philippines being one. I don't know about Africa though and again what country in Africa he is in.

This might be helpful https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/countries-where-you-can-enforce-child-maintenance-decisions

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, PaulB said:

a Filipina lady, in the Philippines,who I knew a long time ago who was with a British guy for 6 years and has a son by him.

Are you sure?  I was with a filipina lady for 6 years and she told everyone she had a son by me.  I left her when she finally admitted to me that she had been seeing someone else on the side and "my son" was not my son.  So what you are proposing is to join a one sided witch hunt for a guy who may (possibly) be just like me.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Are you sure?  I was with a filipina lady for 6 years and she told everyone she had a son by me.  I left her when she finally admitted to me that she had been seeing someone else on the side and "my son" was not my son.  So what you are proposing is to join a one sided witch hunt for a guy who may (possibly) be just like me.

Come on Dave.  Giving an old friend some advice is not exactly "joining a one sided witch hunt".  

I really doubt that she would ever be eligible for any compensation unless she can prove paternity, so that is the first advice I would give her.

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Works both ways.  Here in Olongapo there are a lot of mixed race kids (now adults for the most part) who were abandoned by their fathers.  That is my assumption based on looks and having talked to 1 or 2.  I have no idea if they received support but I would guess many did not.  

On the other hand, I'm sure there were many mothers unjustly claiming a foreign father while having a local BF/husband.

If there is a U.S. citizen father involved (accused?), the U.S. Embassy does have a process to get a CRBA, and blood tests would be involved.  The father might be easier to track if he was a U.S. serviceman.  

When I first arrived here I rented a car from a Korean rental place here on the base, and I was still a bit naive about this topic.  The young, good looking, tall black guy who helped me spoke almost perfect California English so I asked him where he was from.  He said "I'm from here.  Yeah, I'm one of those", but with a big smile and a chuckle.  He told me his English California accent is probably because he listens to a lot of internet radio and western music.

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Dave

The guy used to work for me when she conceived and we celebrated the birth of HIS Son together. He has never denied he is the father so a little bit different than your case. He was okay with everything until he went to work in Africa where he met the new lady and all support stopped. I think that is a little different then your case and hence why I asked the members for advice. I would not be part of a "witch hunt".

Hope that clears that up.

Paul

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

The Phills and the UK have a social security agreement.I know that if a brit dies and he has dependents here the UK government will help,and the dependents will get some money.I cannot see any reason for the UK not to at least try to help,but stranger things have happened.It would be wise to browse the gov.uk websites to see if there is any info on there.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, PaulB said:

The guy used to work for me when she conceived and we celebrated the birth of HIS Son together.

Paul was that here or in the UK, if the UK maybe you will have his NI Number, this will be the one Number to Find him any where with agreements with the UK :smile: