LTO Paperwork Required Before Driving New Vehicle

robert k
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jack Peterson said:

Only if it is a new car Robert, Second hand Transfers are dealt with differently 

I was planning on new Jack, now I'm considering trying to buy a 1-2 year old car, but that really isn't what I want, taking cabs all over looking at used cars. I'd just buy a used bike [until I get a new car] but the luggage won't fit and the bike won't fit on a bus [very well].

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

It Says on the letter that vehicles delivered after 15th of February 2017 cannot be driven,I wonder why they chose this date.

Has it got anything to do with the new tax to be paid on new vehicles?  Maybe they are firming up to ensure the tax is paid before the vehicle is driven.

If anyone has not yet heard of the new tax on new vehicles, here is a bit about it:

Automobile taxes

The DOF said the tax rates on automobiles have not been adjusted or updated for the past 13 years. As such, they decided to use the industry to help gain revenue in exchange for workers’ lower income.

This is progressive, said Chia, as the more luxurious cars will be imposed with higher taxes. But he added that if the increase in take-home pay would be considered, the prices would remain “affordable” to Filipinos.

Here are the proposed excise tax rates on automobiles:

http://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/in-depth/160097-tax-reform-duterte-income-tax

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Maybe they are firming up to ensure the tax is paid before the vehicle is driven.

Surely this is another thing for the Supplier (Showroom) to attend to, after all They collected the tax Due (bit like passing on SS taken from Wages to the right people) and/or the VAT payable

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, robert k said:

I was planning on new Jack, now I'm considering trying to buy a 1-2 year old car, but that really isn't what I want, taking cabs all over looking at used cars

If the dealers were smart they would register the vehicles ahead of time as "lease vehicles" and then you could lease with an option to purchase and drive it off the lot.  But that might actually require them using their own money to register the vehicle. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Surely this is another thing for the Supplier (Showroom) to attend to, after all They collected the tax Due (bit like passing on SS taken from Wages to the right people) and/or the VAT payable

Quite basically the whole thing is a farce. 

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If the dealers were smart they would register the vehicles ahead of time as "lease vehicles" and then you could lease with an option to purchase and drive it off the lot.  But that might actually require them using their own money to register the vehicle. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Good idea Dave, they would get their money back when it sold but who knows how long it would be tied up.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I saw James Deakin interviewing the head of LTO.  The first part is on his Facebook page.  Scroll down to March 25, not too far down.  I don't know how to directly link to it.

I'm not going to say much about the guy.  I'll see what you think.

https://www.facebook.com/james.deakin/

• Like 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the link Dave H, interesting reading and something I was totally oblivious about.

"Here are the proposed excise tax rates on automobiles:"

http://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/in-depth/160097-tax-reform-duterte-income-tax

Cheers, Steve.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

It will be a second hand late model for me, won't be going through all that nonsense.  I can't understand why this is so hard.  Plates have been an issue for such a long time, why have they not got a company to manufacture them or more of them, whatever is applicable?  An inspection, check serial numbers etc should only take a short time one would think?

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

It will be a second hand late model for me, won't be going through all that nonsense.  I can't understand why this is so hard.  Plates have been an issue for such a long time, why have they not got a company to manufacture them or more of them, whatever is applicable?  An inspection, check serial numbers etc should only take a short time one would think?

They find it more beneficial to order them from abroad.It would only entail getting a few machines to make their own.Like a lot of things here it is 180o around from the logical way.

• Like 2