Why do Fiipinos Follow Silly Rules and Ignore Good Ones?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I keep reading this thing about Education and what if they were better educated. They are Educated to the Degree of the Country so let's let them decide if they can follow the law or just be lemmings cos whatever we say or try and instill in them they will do as they wish

Words of jack on a subject that will get to the merry go round situation I am sure 

Sorry G & G's I am repeating this as I posted it elsewhere my apologies embarrased  man.jpg :hystery:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 3/25/2017 at 11:33 AM, Gratefuled said:

My stepson attends a Catholic High School here in Davao City. I don't know if other private schools or public schools are different or have problems such as the ones that you mention. 

My stepson informs us of the discipline at the school. I'll just mention a few of them. Once, a trio of boys were expelled for "bullying:". They were calling other students names. Another time, one was expelled for "bullying". He forcefully would take other student's lunch or part of it. The most recent one is when one student was expelled for cheating on an exam. He was observed by the teacher copying answers off another student's test paper.  

The school has a very strict dress code and boys haircuts have to be what I call "high & tight". No dyed hair and no ear rings. English must be spoken on campus in and out of the classroom. 

With this said, I might add that schools in the states should be stricter about behaviour and dress codes.

I've read where children have been driven to suicide by "bullying".

We some friends here whose daughter is a classmate and friend of our daughter, for a few years now.  Her daughter is a bit shy and has apparently been "bullied" a few times.  The mom was talking to me about something that happened (I can't remember the specifics) that I thought was very mild, and she said "that's bullying" and was very upset about it.  I thought it was a bit over the top to call it bullying, but apparently any kind of teasing or aggression is "bullying" these days, in PH or the US.

Our private school also has a strict policy.  The kids in my daughter's class seem like pretty good kids and the worst I have heard of is the typical girl stuff "we are not friends anymore" then two weeks later they are BFF again.  We have a lot of expat kids, OFW kids and Korean kids at the school.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I have heard of is the typical girl stuff "we are not friends anymore" then two weeks later they are BFF again.

Same world wide whether male or female 

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

The problem is and it is NOT a problem to them is they are as happy as in Pg s...t regardless of what we try and tell them. What does that say about these lovely people? I will tell you, they are happy and in many cases a darn sight happier than us. That will tell you something else :thumbsup:

This is the thing. We think one way and they might think another but at the end of the day who is right or wrong. They might think our ways are weird and vice versa but to me it goes with the culture so there is no problem here as we all need to adapt. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Dave, I should have qualified my earlier question.  I meant to say "grade school level" corruption.  I have heard about college level buying of grades, etc., but mainly via online forums such as this one.  To quote Intrepid in another post in this thread, "However, with most things I read and hear I need more confirmation before I start believing."

However, I don't get out and talk to people about these types of things, so I don't know if I can really ever confirm.  I have a very short list of friends here and the family occupies most of my time.  I may ask some of the relatives.

On all of these aspects, I prefer to keep a "glass half full" attitude and believe that some of the terrible things you are suggesting happen are isolated and not as rampant as some might believe.

A few comments below in your text.  Well, maybe not.  I was typing in the quoted text box and hit backspace.  Everything gone.  Too tired to retype.

MY SIL teaches elementary in Manila at a public school.  My wife says the only "corruption training" going on there is stuff like washing the teacher's lunch dishes, etc., typical teacher's pet stuff like goes on in most younger age schools.  Maybe if they are borderline pass/fail, it could help them pass.

My daughter's private school is on the up and up, I am positive.  These things are not going on there, to any extent.  The principle is a neighbor of ours so we know her outside of school, a bit.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

We've all seen it before.  You're standing patiently in line at Jollibee's and here comes this douche bag cutting in line a few customers ahead of you.  What are you going to do?  It happened to me while waiting in line at a drive through.  I immediately got out and tapped the driver's window, demanding loudly in English....WTF are you doing?  

The driver with an old lady in the back was confused but quickly read my tone and facial expression.  They immediately drove out without any remorse or apology.  I was lucky -- I was very lucky.  True I could get away expressing my anger publicly because I'm Filipino but these days, you and I have to be very, very careful.  

You never know whether that douche bag is packing or has a bladed weapon or there are more douche bags like him, protecting his back.  Please be very careful -- cutting in line are against the rules but the street culture says otherwise.

Edited by Jake
  • Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

There are many who believe IQ is more genetic than environmental. https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/traits/intelligence and if such is the case then this is, IMHO, a case of the locals with a higher IQ level exploiting those with a low IQ level.

In other countries, many in authority realize that there are some of lower IQ who can never be rocket scientists, but they are still taught a profession they can live with (trash collector maybe?) and paid a living wage and taught to follow the laws.

I think this is a very relevant comment Dave and very close to the actual truth.  What's more, I think the 'intellectuals' who control the ship, want to keep it that way.  This is very much the case here in Thailand.  The rank and file live in 'ignorant bliss' whilst the 'intellectuals' run amok.  The status quo seems to remain staunch.

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

This is very much the case here in Thailand.  The rank and file live in 'ignorant bliss' whilst the 'intellectuals' run amok.  The status quo seems to remain staunch.

Hmmmm.  Sounds like a lot of our home countries in reverse. :hystery:

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Hmmmm.  Sounds like a lot of our home countries in reverse. :hystery:

I am not too sure that it reflects Oz, our beloved politicians have their heads well and truly in the trough and showing no signs of coming up for air.!!!

They do get more flack about their activities regarding spending and sponging on the public purse, but they have hides as thick as Rhinos.

• Like 1

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

An interesting one and gave it some thought...........

As for cases of insest and young girls.  I have heard first hand a few times from ex gf, friends etc directly effected.

For schools, MIL is a teacher and another family member, never have seen after school activities or heard anything with favours at home or at school.

Now, with regard to following silly rules etc.........I have employed thousands of OFW's over the last ten years in the middle east, all with good degrees.  They have been exemplars in many cases at work.  They quickly find out, study, learn the company policy's and procedures and follow them.  Perhaps sometimes too much that they are blinkered and will only follow when perhaps sometimes bending them is required to get the job done.  Bending, not breaking them.

The OFW's have ranged from cleaners, security guards, technicians, Engineers, Admins, finance, HR et al.  Perhaps it is the PI itself that generates the silly rules and the lack of enforcement of them as a poster said due to corruption.  Or, perhaps it is the fear of retribution by others if indeed the rules are followed.

JMHO

Steve

• Like 5