Why do Fiipinos Follow Silly Rules and Ignore Good Ones?

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Steve GCC said:

Or, perhaps it is the fear of retribution by others if indeed the rules are followed.

That's it! It is the Union's fault - the culture of "hey new guy, slow your ass down. you're making us look bad and we don't work that hard around here - hey, isn't it time for a raise and better benefits?."  On second thought, they might have the work culture part down but they haven't figured out the pay part yet.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 3/27/2017 at 1:27 AM, Jake said:

We've all seen it before.  You're standing patiently in line at Jollibee's and here comes this douche bag cutting in line a few customers ahead of you.

In my experience which is different than yours, never has that happened to me. I have found Filipino courteous and polite. Even as an example here in the elevators they seem to gesture me to leave the elevator first when we share it. When in line on a busy day such as in Jollibee everyone that I have seen waits their turn. :89:

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Steve GCC said:

An interesting one and gave it some thought...........

As for cases of insest and young girls.  I have heard first hand a few times from ex gf, friends etc directly effected.

The OFW's have ranged from cleaners, security guards, technicians, Engineers, Admins, finance, HR et al.  Perhaps it is the PI itself that generates the silly rules and the lack of enforcement of them as a poster said due to corruption.  Or, perhaps it is the fear of retribution by others if indeed the rules are followed.

JMHO

Steve

Triple LIKE Steve!  

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
On 3/26/2017 at 5:55 AM, Jack Peterson said:

The problem is and it is NOT a problem to them is they are as happy as in Pg s...t regardless of what we try and tell them. What does that say about these lovely people? I will tell you, they are happy and in many cases a darn sight happier than us. That will tell you something else :thumbsup:

Of course Jack! Unhappiness is a driving force of progress. If I were happy and completely satisfied? I wouldn't move a millimeter for concern of screwing it up! Since I am only reasonably happy and somewhat satisfied, I keep trying to make things better.

• Like 2

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

In my experience which is different than yours, never has that happened to me. I have found Filipino courteous and polite. Even as an example here in the elevators they seem to gesture me to leave the elevator first when we share it. When in line on a busy day such as in Jollibee everyone that I have seen waits their turn. :89:

I can see both yours and Jakes side to this, I have to say that so far here in La Union every one appears to be patient and courteous and to date no queue jumping. Manila was a different story and queue jumping appears to be normal and accepted, frustrating yes but not worth a scene.

Driving here, go with the flow, it works but I do get,,,,, "I won't say it" shall we say annoyed when a driver take up 2 parking spaces and sometimes when they park across 3 bays instead of 90 degrees and worse when you come out of a shop and you are parked in with no recourse other than to wait until security can locate the driver, with no apology from that driver when they appear, only a look of disdain. Hey just as well we are not in a hurry, more fun in the Philippines.

Cheers, Steve. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Maybe this is regional?  They can be fairly rude around here and Jake is from here.  Most of the rude experiences have been at the "smallest SM in the world", as we like to call SM Olongapo.  They have one set of 2 elevators.  People will be waiting and others will walk right up and go right in front of them.  Even when I am holding the baby.  And at the SM department store cashiers, ladies (usually) will try to casually move in front of you if you let them.  I say "excuse me" a bit loudly and then they back off and are apologetic, but it most definitely was intentional.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, frosty (chris) said:

Was at the mall one day, at the checkout, in the line waiting patiently like I should, was my turn next and this older woman just pushed in front of me and the line saying " I am senior" pi$$ed me right off. I asked to see her seniors card, then showed the cashier my ACR card I was older than her and she wasn't even a senior, told her to go back to the end of the line, looked very sheepish at me, cashier just smiled.

When my wife was pregnant she would go to the front of the line sometimes, but she would talk to the cashier about it.  Usually they would say, "wait until I am done with this customer and then I will help you".

You can try it if you get one of these.  I think Jake would look really nice, especially with that glow they get when pregnant.

https://www.amazon.com/douper-Artificial-Pregnant-Silicone-Pregnancy/dp/B01FX39E46/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1490752549&sr=8-1&keywords=fake%2Bpregnant&th=1

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Maybe this is regional?  They can be fairly rude around here and Jake is from here.  Most of the rude experiences have been at the "smallest SM in the world", as we like to call SM Olongapo.  They have one set of 2 elevators.  People will be waiting and others will walk right up and go right in front of them.  Even when I am holding the baby.  And at the SM department store cashiers, ladies (usually) will try to casually move in front of you if you let them.  I say "excuse me" a bit loudly and then they back off and are apologetic, but it most definitely was intentional.

I have to agree a little here.  By far not every local is like this because most are friendly, curtious, and will also wait their turn in lines.  However, either here in Laguna, Manila, or in other provinces, over the years, and until now, I have noticed a small percentage who will when given the chance, with cut or try to cut in line.  In the past year living here it has happened at the bank, supermarket, and most every escalator you approach at the malls.  Again not everyone is like this.  Now don't ask me about the local driver habits and cutting in line!:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Again not everyone is like this. 

In our Barangay especially in the evenings, it is the somewhat arrogant teenagers and Youth  (say under 25) that are just not willing to take their turn even pulling children away from the servery to be served First, others shout over everyone and can be very disruptive if not Served.

Being the Size I am tends to help as not many try it on with me. :whistling:

• Like 5