Posted

Where did the brown out come from instead of a black out 

• Like 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Jackdan67 said:

Where did the brown out come from instead of a black out 

My better half tells me a brown out is loss of power through the day and black out is at night.

I always thought a brown out was a voltage drop in the system for a length of time.

I'm sure others will give a more accurate answer.

Cheers, Steve.

Found this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownout_(electricity)

Edited by bigpearl
  • Like 1

Jackdan67
Posted
Posted

Yeah since been comming here 2012 even at night people say brown out,, well have had  lots of brown outs in that time 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Jackdan67 said:

Yeah since been comming here 2012 even at night people say brown out,, well have had  lots of brown outs in that time 

The way our Electricity is delivered ( Live and Ground) Hot and Cold unless it is a Total Out from the Substation The Lines are never really off so it is a Brownout due to severe voltage drop but enough to knock you off your feet if touched in a Short Brownout. Just as a little thing even during a Brownout, I have 1 LED lamp that is still on very Dim. This I am told is residual power because it is a Local Down and not a Substation down ie; Transformer Fuse Change. I tend to think we from the West, will never really understand this Way of Power delivery

Power interruptions are as we know so common that they just get called brownouts have done since apparently Electricity first came to my wife's house. One of those words that we just have to get used to 

• Like 5

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I think it depends on what socially correct sector you come from!!!!!

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

I think it depends on what socially correct sector you come from!!!!!

barrel.jpg Scraping the barrel Mate:hystery:

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Sorry Jack!!!

• Like 2

Jackdan67
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

The way our Electricity is delivered ( Live and Ground) Hot and Cold unless it is a Total Out from the Substation The Lines are never really off so it is a Brownout due to severe voltage drop but enough to knock you off your feet if touched in a Short Brownout. Just as a little thing even during a Brownout, I have 1 LED lamp that is still on very Dim. This I am told is residual power because it is a Local Down and not a Substation down ie; Transformer Fuse Change. I tend to think we from the West, will never really understand this Way of Power delivery

Power interruptions are as we know so common that they just get called brownouts have done since apparently Electricity first came to my wife's house. One of those words that we just have to get used to 

Just remember first few visits i would be nah its a blackout a girl at time said blackout is whole city ?? thanks Jack its what it is a brownout probley right mogo 51 another reason i like being here .

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Different English words mean different things to different cultures, and yet we tend to pick on filipinos when they adapt a word to their own culture. Here are just a couple of examples:

Brits put suitcases in the "boot" while Americans would say that is not the correct word.  You may be surprised at the HUGE variation between British and American vocabulary and these two countries apparently speak English as their first language.  Read here for more on that.

Americans colloquially say the summer season in the United States is commonly regarded as beginning on Memorial Day weekend (the last weekend in May) and ending on Labor Day weekend (the first weekend in September) whereas the dictionary would say summer starts on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 12:24 am EDT.  Of course the filipinos think that summer is April and May as that is when their best and hottest weather occurs.

So is it any wonder that filipinos have their own idioms that don't correspond to the Aussie, Brit, Canadian or American equivalent.  I sure get tired of people with a holier than thou attitude, especially when these same people want to praise a filipino because they "speak good English"  I hear that so many times.  The phrase should be "speak English well" and so we hear people criticizing a culture for a few idioms in their second language when so many of us cannot get our first language correct.  End of rant.

• Like 5

Jackdan67
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

yet we tend to pick on filipinos when they adapt a word to their own culture.

Dave i was just wondering cause ive asked many flipino with no answer ..i think its great they have their own words and way of life .thats why i love it here so much any time i was in Australia only thought of being here just a bit harder in province ..im sure a aussie dosnt speak english at all 

• Like 2