Brown out

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

I explained that a " blackout" was  term used during  WW1 and WW2

Could be.  Or:  A suppression of information, especially one imposed on the media by government.
"there is a total information blackout on minority interests" Or: Blackout is the term used to describe when a person is so drunk that they wake up the next morning with temporary amnesia.  English is so complicated at times.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Blackout is the term used to describe when a person is so drunk that they wake up the next morning with temporary amnesia.

:hystery:  over there.jpgSiquijor ( taking a breather).jpg Has been known on occasions :whistling:

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

I'm not sure but I told my wife here that a "brownout" is when a section of the city has the power purposely shut off for a certain period of time fore a reason. Reason may be to save power or to repair a broken line somewhere. Certain sections of Davao City are without power every now and then. Even the local malls. The malls have backup power generators to supply a basic supply of power but air condition and escalators are not always included. We still get them but not as often. 

I explained that a " blackout" was  term used during  WW1 and WW2 when cities shut off their power so enemy bombers could not accurately bomb during the night. In modern times now it would not help. 

I could be wrong but this is how I explained it to my wife. 

A "Brownout" is a period of low power availability, the power is still on but incandescent lights look brownish instead of white. A blackout is when the power is off and therefore the lights are out (apparently not including Jack's high efficiency new fangled bulb. lol). Sections of a city purposely shut off are blackouts for repair etc or rolling blackouts to avoid brownouts (which cause havoc on electrical equipment). Well, that's one version anyway...

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Blackout is the term used to describe when a person is so drunk that they wake up the next morning with temporary amnesia

I don't have to get drunk to have short term memory loss. It happens quite often with me and I'm not a senior citizen, yet. 

I sometime forget why I opened the refrigerator door. Same when I enter  the bathroom but I use it anyway, ( just in case).

Edited by Gratefuled
spellcheck
  • Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, AlwaysRt said:

A "Brownout" is a period of low power availability, the power is still on but incandescent lights look brownish instead of white.

A "brownout" here in Davao City and where I live, there is absolutely NO power at all. Sometimes we are alerted as to when to expect it. Other times it just happens anywhere from a few minutes to as long as 8 hours. 

Some people like to head to the nearest mall in hopes their A/C is working.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

A "brownout" here in Davao City and where I live, there is absolutely NO power at all. Sometimes we are alerted as to when to expect it. Other times it just happens anywhere from a few minutes to as long as 8 hours. 

Some people like to head to the nearest mall in hopes their A/C is working.

Oh, yup sorry. Should have said that is a US version (possibly terms created and used before the Philippines ever had power at all?). I have never heard a Filipino say blackout as they seem to have either 'normal' or 'brownout' power here.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Veco calls it a brownout as in example below. They also call a fault which is causing power to be off an outage. 

Dear Valued customers,

Typhoon Yolanda has damaged the transmission lines in the Leyte area, causing a 

shortage in power supply. Leyte provides 1/3 of VECO’s supply for its franchise area.

Until restoration works on these lines are completed, we will be experiencing rotational 

brownouts.

CEBU, Philippines - The Visayan Electric Company resorted to up to two hours of rotational brownout yesterday due to lack of power supply in the Visayas grid.

It came after the National Grid Corporation of the Phils. (NGCP) informed VECO that the Visayas grid was experiencing supply shortfall starting at 9 a.m.

VECO had to reduce demand from the grid by approximately 146 megawatts.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

I don't have to get drunk to have short term memory loss. It happens quite often with me and I'm not a senior citizen, yet. 

I sometime forget why I opened the refrigerator door. Same when I enter  the bathroom but I use it anyway, ( just in case).

Yes, a good day is when we go into a room and remember what it was we wanted.

:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1