Rational thinking

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I dont think you read what I said :smile:

Correct, I did not read what you said, I read what you wrote :mocking:. No idea what "I dont think that is that not rational" means so I ignored it and commented on "what's the point of making the window and then finding the contractor has not cut the hole to exactly the size you requested." 

Why would anyone wait until the window showed up to check the window opening? What is so hard about measuring a rectangle before letting the contractor making the rectangle leave? Or didn't I read what is what not right?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Correct, I did not read what you said, I read what you wrote :mocking:. No idea what "I dont think that is that not rational" means so I ignored it and commented on "what's the point of making the window and then finding the contractor has not cut the hole to exactly the size you requested." 

Why would anyone wait until the window showed up to check the window opening? What is so hard about measuring a rectangle before letting the contractor making the rectangle leave? Or didn't I read what is what not right?

The point being is what is the problem of the window manufactor re measuring the hole to make sure that the measurements are what is to be used? Just because the original plan might be to make hole x by x a few centimeters or a quarter of an inch will be a problem . You agree or not :smile:

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

I'm just a country boy, so would someone explain why you just didn't buy the window bring it home then have your man cut the hole. He could stand by the next day with his saw (if too small) or furring strips for too large. I'm sure there must be a reason for this.  Let me know I'll be with Jake hunting camels, always in season everywhere.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Just because the original plan might be to make hole x by x a few centimeters or a quarter of an inch will be a problem . You agree or not

I cannot agree because the hole is always made bigger than required (due to rough aggregate in the concrete) and then finished to the size needed.  So if the window was here at the same time the hole was being finished then it would be an easy task to finish, as in square up and smooth, the concrete hole to the exact size of the window.  I would think that would be easier than trying to build the window to the size of the hole but then, I'm not pinoy.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gerald Glatt said:

would someone explain why you just didn't buy the window bring it home then have your man cut the hole.

Because there is no "standard size" window for my wall.  If you think you could find a sliding patio door that is 5 foot 2 inches high and 4 foot wide, I wish you would have told me about it but I think I gotta get that one made special.  Why that size?  Its all the wall I got :571c66d400c8c_1(103): I'll have to post a picture later so you can see wazzup.

intrepid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

I'm just a country boy, so would someone explain why you just didn't buy the window bring it home then have your man cut the hole. He could stand by the next day with his saw (if too small) or furring strips for too large. I'm sure there must be a reason for this.  Let me know I'll be with Jake hunting camels, always in season everywhere.

I'm with you on this one Gerald.  Over the years I have replaced and installed new windows.  I would always measure the old window or measure the size that would fit where the new window was to be placed.  Then either bought or had the window made.  Once the window was on site, the work would begin.  Depending on the if the construction was wood or concrete, the whole job would be complete between 45 minutes and 8 hours.

I understand things operate a little different here.  As soon as my house construction is complete I am building a workshop out back.  Along with the materials will be two windows and a door.  I plan to locate a window builder who will construct my windows and door to the size I request.  Once I accept it and pay, he will have no further responsibility for it, right or wrong,As long as I have the window, I can make it fit. 

• Like 4

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The point being is what is the problem of the window manufactor re measuring the hole to make sure that the measurements are what is to be used? Just because the original plan might be to make hole x by x a few centimeters or a quarter of an inch will be a problem . You agree or not :smile:

The problem is having a big hole in the house for no GOOD reason. I do agree with you and with the manufacturer reasoning that since this is the Philippines there is no telling how big a 62 1/2 inch high by 48 1/2 inch wide hole will be. Easier for the manufacturer to build a one off window than keep coming back because worker can't make a correct size hole and homeowners won't check the work.

*The BIG problem is I am trying to use logic and too many years as a construction company owner to be willing to accept anything other than correct. My bad for sure lol.

Edited by AlwaysRt
spelling and saw the window size after I post
  • Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 3/28/2017 at 4:07 PM, jpbago said:

What size would the plywood have to be?:shades:

!/2 inch thick with supports should do it.

• Like 3