Bridge Players or Wannabees

DerekJW
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi all, but especially to anyone in the Angeles City area.

A few weeks ago I wrote about losing my sanity in Muzon, well; I have moved, to Angeles City (and to save what is left of my sanity), partly because of my small business (NOT the girls), but another prime reason was to find "foreigners", who, like me, want to play bridge or at least learn how to play. I will be putting up some posters up in Fields Avenue bars, but if anyone is interested in meeting to chat about forming a bridge club, or if there already is a bridge club, that would be even better.

Thank you,

Derek 

Edited by scott h
phone number listed
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Derek I deleted your phone number. I suggest that you ask that a member send you a private message if he or she is interested.

But here is an idea for you, since your in Angeles have you gone by the VFW there in Angeles? Lots of expats hang out there, and they might know of a clubs or bridge association for you. Since it is an American veteran club, I doubt many would play bridge but you never know :hystery: (spades yes, bridge I doubt it lol)

They also have a pretty good restaurant there, so it wont be a complete waste of time :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
i am bob
Posted
Posted

Gee...  I missed this one before...  But, oh, gosh, darn...  I'm in Davao...  Can I kibbutz via Skype?  

There's various types of bridge but I learned not contract but full contact bridge...  "Seven No Trump and you only have a single Ace..?". :bash:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, i am bob said:

"Seven No Trump and you only have a single Ace..?".

I have seen that contract bid and made. If the team defending are as foolish as the team bidding the 7NT then it can be done (if the first one to play leads 4th from longest and strongest and that also happens to be the suit he has the Ace of).

Definitely not recommended but if you are in duplicate, playing against a team you know to be weak, its a brave bid that will get you top hand, or bottom hand :-)

• Like 1

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

see you two found each other now to figure how your going to get to play. don t know anything about the game but know that card games can get interesting if its like pinoclo, or spades, have fun

DerekJW
Posted
Posted

Dear All,

Well, after a few weeks , I found the Bridge Club, yes! there is one, of sorts, in Angeles. At the moment it meets in The Swagman or The Queens Hotel and we play at least twice a week. There are still not enough players to form a proper Duplicate Bridge Club but we are working on it, so, if anybody from Angeles fancies a game they can call the organiser; Mike on 09493046281. All are welcome and it is free!!! Thanks to everyone for commenting on my search for happiness (or is it addiction?). Regards, Derek W, late of Muzon, presently residing in Angeles

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Ahh... memories. My father played bridge his entire life and was a founder of the Philippines Contract Bridge League. My father was also Chairman and President of the Southeast Asia Bridge Federation until he passed away. Same with my brother who became a professional bridge player and commentator at tournaments in the United States.

I recall chapters in different cities, but I am not sure about Angeles.

There was a clubhouse in Manila. When my father became ill, the family swimming pool was demolished and they built a bridge pavilion at our home in Pasay City so he could continue playing. I never played the game, but my two sons are tournament level players in the United States and Canada.

• Like 2