Other 13A Questions

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

Hello,

My 6 mo tourist visa extension ends on May 6th and I want to apply for 13A residency.

I read some of topics in this forum and on BI web site, but didn't get enough information to make a fully informed decision.

Can I apply for 13A at the BI office in Angeles?

Is a medical clearance required if I'm US Citizen?  The US isn't listed as one of countries in the BI's "SBM-2014-059-A", Bureau of Quarantine Medical Clearances".

The application package mentions a letter is required from both the applicant and Filipino spouse.  What do we have to say in these letters?

What happens if my tourist visa expires before my 13A is being processed or issued?

Thanks!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, ITGeek said:

What happens if my tourist visa expires before my 13A is being processed or issued?

I guess you already have this page but here it is again, click on the section at the Bottom;

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa-inquiry/immigration-visa-by-marriage

Not sure if you can apply in Angeles but there is a section somewhere on the Site that will tell you the offices you can apply to.

It is not always stated but you need 20 clear days extension on your Passport to apply, should you run over those 20 days you will need to extend for at least 1 month.

Best of Luck my friend

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was told that you need to keep a valid tourist visa until the 13A is actually approved.  Alternatively, you and your spouse could take a short trip out of the country and get a BB stamp in your passport good for a year.  If you choose to go with a BB stamp, do that before you submit the application for the 13A.

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, ITGeek said:

See below

Hello,

My 6 mo tourist visa extension ends on May 6th and I want to apply for 13A residency.

I read some of topics in this forum and on BI web site, but didn't get enough information to make a fully informed decision.

Can I apply for 13A at the BI office in Angeles?

No.  In this link, click on the map to see a pdf of office capabilities.  If I remember right, you are in Luzon.  I think you can apply at Baguio, San Fernando (La Union) or Manila, but make sure you can cover the interview there too.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/index.php/information/directory-of-transactions

Is a medical clearance required if I'm US Citizen?  The US isn't listed as one of countries in the BI's "SBM-2014-059-A", Bureau of Quarantine Medical Clearances".

Not required

The application package mentions a letter is required from both the applicant and Filipino spouse.  What do we have to say in these letters?

I found a few using google.  If you like I can send you mine to use as a template.

As Jack and Mike said, you have to make sure there is always an overlap so you have a current visa of some sort.  I wrote about mine in another thread and at the last minute I had to get a 1 month tourist.

Thanks!

I just got my 13a probationary in my passport.  For that last step, I used an agent who is based in Angeles.  If you are interested, I can give you his info and he can give you a quote for doing almost all the work for you.

• Like 5

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Yeah, the list of countries needing the medical clearance are mostly other 3rd world countries. 

When I did my 13a I used a template off the internet for the letter.  I took it in to immigration and let them make all the pencil changes on it as required. Then I went to a net cafe and retyped it (had a copy on my jump drive to edit). I had all my other requirements so I went to BI in the morning, a net cafe for lunch, and back to BI in the afternoon to turn it all in.  Iloilo has virtually no line. A very small office, very helpful and friendly staff.

• Like 4

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Iloilo has virtually no line. A very small office, very helpful and friendly staff.

Sounds like it might be a less stressful option to Cebu.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, AlwaysRt said:

Sounds like it might be a less stressful option to Cebu

I would agree.  I did mine in Cebu and it can really be a zoo.  There are a large number of young people who come to Cebu to learn english in addition to the usual expats.  Helpful staff, but always packed with long wait lines.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Yeah, the list of countries needing the medical clearance are mostly other 3rd world countries. 

When I did my 13a I used a template off the internet for the letter.  I took it in to immigration and let them make all the pencil changes on it as required. Then I went to a net cafe and retyped it (had a copy on my jump drive to edit). I had all my other requirements so I went to BI in the morning, a net cafe for lunch, and back to BI in the afternoon to turn it all in.  Iloilo has virtually no line. A very small office, very helpful and friendly staff.

Any suggestions for travel to Iloilo from Dumaguete? Ride motor, take bus...?

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, AlwaysRt said:

Any suggestions for travel to Iloilo from Dumaguete? Ride motor, take bus...?

Ceries Liner to Bacalod then ferry to Iioilo

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Gary D said:

Ceries Liner to Bacalod then ferry to Iioilo

Check weather conditions as the fast cats are cancelled if it is windy, I think above 20 kmph. Maybe call 1st. The roro will still run but it takes 2.5 to 3 hours and doesn't go to downtown Iloilo. The fast cats like Ocean Jet and Weesam take about 40 minutes. Duma to Iloilo will take all day.

Edited by jpbago
  • Like 2