New car taxes to take effect?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

There is a very strong possibility a new car tax will go into effect soon. The tax will effect new cars incrementally the more expensive the automobile the higher the tax. If you are thinking of buying now maybe the time to do so. 

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Wish I could but I'm not there right now. I have money that is NOT burning a hole in my pocket but I would like to convert some of it to durable goods as a hedge against volatility and inflation. I would not be surprised by a substantial retail price jump for 2018 models.

robert k
Posted
Posted

Some commercial type vehicles are exempt from the new law, or so I have read. Double cab 1-1/4 ton truck could make a decent family vehicle if you are pickup or 4WD kind of man.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, robert k said:

Some commercial type vehicles are exempt from the new law, or so I have read. Double cab 1-1/4 ton truck could make a decent family vehicle if you are pickup or 4WD kind of man.

Yes true but only if Registered as a Commercial vehicle, My wife has  been telling me, They carry Different Number plates and would be spotted if being used for private use

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Yes true but only if Registered as a Commercial vehicle, My wife has  been telling me, They carry Different Number plates and would be spotted if being used for private use

Well, that is good to know Jack because what I was reading only mentioned them as a class being exempted from the law. As with anything, you have to parse carefully the words used. i was thinking of buying a commercial type vehicle but lately I have been leaning towards plain jane Suzuki van for which the law would have little effect anyway. Assuming I stick with that....now just have to worry about the registration. I don't like the thought of shelling out cash for a vehicle I can't immediately drive and I would rather buy new and scratch it up myself.:smile:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

These SRP increases are much more than what I have seen and they don't say what the source or method is.  

Auto Industriya explains their methodology in this article and their calculated increases are less.

http://www.autoindustriya.com/features/the-taxing-exercise-of-excise.html

• Like 1

Gas
Posted
Posted

When it comes to stories like this, i tend to have a wait and see attitude.

As far as i can see the house bill has only be submitted and there has been no decision on if or when this idea will be implemented. There must be thousands of these bills floating around congress that are never passed. The anti dynasty bill has been around for as long as i have lived here, but never seems to be passed or rejected.

My all time favourite is the bill to declare Adobo as the national food :smile: 

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2014/03/01/1295745/lawmaker-wants-adobo-declared-national-food

• Like 2

insite
Posted
Posted

I have been recently informed by a local car dealer with whom I have had previous dealings that the likely implementation of this tax will be late June or early July.

The additional tax mentioned is considerably below the table above.

Anybody else hear anything of this possibility ?

intrepid
Posted
Posted
On 07/04/2017 at 8:57 AM, Mike J said:

WOW, Sure am glad I'm not thinking about buying and driving a theoretical car!:89: I'll stick with a real one.