Where do I find............Tesco

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

Stumbled across this on fb link.............Not sure about the prices as seem a tad high!  Nice to get occasional foodstuff from home for any Brits

http://www.ourawesomeplanet.com/awesome/2015/07/tesco-in-manila-at-sm-supermarkets.html

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Hi  Steve,  Yes SM Hypermarket in Mandaue City Cebu also sells quite a few Tesco products. I've been lucky to pick up many baking spices lately that were unique and fresh. Last week I was able to find Tesco brand cardamom seeds that I can use to make Swedish bread at Christmas! All part of my ongoing hunt for new items.- Tesco does have some nice ones.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I don't know what to compare them to, but the prices don't look bad to me! 

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I don't know what to compare them to, but the prices don't look bad to me! 

When in SM last October we notice the Tesco isles but didn't recognise any of the products on the shelves, perhaps the giant bottles of basics sbampoo, but largely nothing we see in a UK Tesco's

• Like 1

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted

Never been to a Tesco. Is it something like a Walmart in the U.S.?

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JeSsDaDdY said:

Never been to a Tesco. Is it something like a Walmart in the U.S.?

In a word yes! Jesssdaddy.

Was the biggest supermarket chain in UK. Has had a few set backs and CEO's

Taken a few hits with share value due to poor business decisions.

Still quite a good value for money outlet and supermarkets 

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted

Well, if it's the UK version of Walmart, there's a lot pros and cons I suppose. Everyone loves to hate Walmart, but still likes the money they save by going there to shop. I wish they would open a few in the Philippines. Of course, that will never happen cause the malls would shut down soon after I reckon.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JeSsDaDdY said:

I wish they would open a few in the Philippines. Of course, that will never happen cause the malls would shut down soon after I reckon.

S & R is very much like Walmart.  Membership fee, warehouse style buildings, volume packaging, low prices, etc.  I would be surprised if Walmart chose to go head-to-head with S & R since they are already established and it is basically the same business model.

Funny story.  My wife had only been in the USA a few weeks and had taken the bus to Walmart while I was at work.  At dinner my wife ask, in a serious voice; "Why do all the fat people shop at Walmart?"

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, JeSsDaDdY said:

I wish they would open a few in the Philippines

Supposedly there is a Walmart opening here in Metro. They have a fb page but the only google reference is back in 2016 scheduled to open in July 2017. After reading the article my gut feeling it will not be like the Walmart we are used to in the states. Walmart will only get 40% stake in it so I bet they are just going to bankroll it and take the profit from name recognition. Sort of like how the home depots here really are not like the home depots back in the states. Hope I am proved wrong, time will tell.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, scott h said:

Supposedly there is a Walmart opening here in Metro. They have a fb page but the only google reference is back in 2016 scheduled to open in July 2017. After reading the article my gut feeling it will not be like the Walmart we are used to in the states. Walmart will only get 40% stake in it so I bet they are just going to bankroll it and take the profit from name recognition. Sort of like how the home depots here really are not like the home depots back in the states. Hope I am proved wrong, time will tell.

Walmart may or may not work in the Philippines.  I would bet that it would not.  There are already plenty of cheap Chinese goods available in small outlets that don't require a car to get to.  Walmart has cheap goods, whereas S&R carries high quality goods for a select customer base.  I think the Walmart business model would have to be tweaked to work here.

When I lived in Germany, Walmart opened some locations.  They closed up after a few years.  Germans did not like them.

• Like 1