General warning for the Central Visayas

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Looks like our friends are getting into the Holy Week spirits. Take care out there. I'd been warned Bohol used to be a hive for the NPA and it looks like they're waking up. https://ph.usembassy.gov/security-message-u-s-citizens-travel-advisory-central-visayas/

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sadly the world is a dangerous place, also beware of speeding busses taking those to celibate Holy Week!

edit; Celebrate, not celibate what ever 🤷🏽‍♀️

Edited by Old55
Dumb ass at the keyboard
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I'd been warned Bohol used to be a hive for the NPA

From my understanding the NPA are not a problem to the average person . So many groups in the Philippines fighting for something. 

• Like 2

SNAFU
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

From my understanding the NPA are not a problem to the average person . So many groups in the Philippines fighting for something. 

I've heard the same thing. We have a FilAm friend in the San Carlos area who claims to have been visited a couple of times over the years, a sack of rice for their "cause", and they were on their merry way. I'm not angling for any photo ops myself, however. :mellow:

• Like 1

Ram1957
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Looks like our friends are getting into the Holy Week spirits. Take care out there. I'd been warned Bohol used to be a hive for the NPA and it looks like they're waking up. https://ph.usembassy.gov/security-message-u-s-citizens-travel-advisory-central-visayas/

I guess that they are serious this time. http://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/129248/armed-men-sighted-bohol-town-firefight-govt-troops-ongoing#ixzz4duMGzcVD

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

It's not the NPA that is going to be the problem. 

According to late breaking news, the Abu Sayaaf got into a firefight with the military at a tourist island in Bohol. There were 5 killed including one soldier. The terrorists went up river in fast speed boats and started the skirmish. They are cornered but are heavily armed. 

No news as yet if any foreigners were injured since it is a popular tourist island.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

The terrorists went up river in fast speed boats and started the skirmish. They are cornered but are heavily armed. 

One story said, The group came to the Visayas on three pump boats, according to reports.

Would not imagine pump boats being so fast :smile:

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

One story said, The group came to the Visayas on three pump boats, according to reports.

The gunmen sailed into the Bohol town of Inabanga on Monday, going upriver toward a remote section of the island aboard three fast boats, Inabanga police officer Edwin Melicor told AFP by telephone.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I guess they would have to define fast

:89:

• Like 1