What Food/Food Products Do You Now Make That You Used to Take for Granted

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted (edited)

While I was reading Jollygoodfellow's post on finding good ham, it got me to thinking about all the foods/food products that I used to take for granted when living in the States. I hadn't really thought about it too much. I had a few small restaurants back in the day so cooking has always come easy for me. Still, I make a lot of things here simply because I can't find sources here or the products that are here are really expensive.

So... my question is. What do you now make yourself that you never would have dreamed of making when you were in your home country?

Me, I make all kinds of stuff.. and have benefited greatly from doing so. The food is healthier and the family enjoys it more.

Here's a list of things  I can think of right off the top of my head:

Ham, Sausage, BBQ sauce, steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce, butter, tartar sauce, sour cream, mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, spice rubs, pancake syrup, pasta, bread and other stuff I can't think of right now.

I would love to make my own cheese and have tried a few times. Never turned out so good, though.

So, what do you make? I am curious to know.

Thanks,

Jeff

Edited by JeSsDaDdY
grammar nazis
  • Like 4

Gator
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JeSsDaDdY said:

So, what do you make? I am curious to know.

In addition to some of the things you mentioned, such as tarter sauce and spice rubs, I also make cold smoked fish like Lox (Salmon) and Mackerel. 

It mostly depends on the kitchen in the condos I rent, but I do find that I generally make more things from "scratch". 

• Like 3

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted

Smoked fish sounds good. Never tried it, though. Time to Google it I suppose.

• Like 1

kalibojerry
Posted
Posted

tortilla I can not find them make the flour but would love to have corn can not even make them can not buy the makings for them make my own BBQ sauce I love Cattle mans so that is the one I make very easy to make and really taste great, Pinto Beans have not seen them here, different flours have to special order them Whole Wheat, Rye,Yellow Corn Meal, it is just a pain, this is just to name a few  

• Like 3

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted

I usually can find dry pinto beans at SM supermarket. They USUALLY have pintos, white beans and red beans. They're not too bad. I don't know if it's a Davao thing or if they're available everywhere. I make the flour tortillas also. Kids love 'em.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, kalibojerry said:

tortilla

Jerry, S@R now has mission flour tortillas, naturally they kall them "wraps" and not tortillas, I have made quesadillas with them, just like home.

7 hours ago, kalibojerry said:

corn

I have found corn tortillas at a place called Shop Wise here in Paranaque. Not as good as the real thing but better than nothing when I am jonesing for tacos lol

• Like 2

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I have tried those Mission flour tortillas. They're not too bad.

• Like 1

kalibojerry
Posted
Posted

Scott  I live in Kalibo Aklan does Shop Wise have a phone number or an email address 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, kalibojerry said:

Kalibo Aklan

I googles shopwise Jerri, naturally they have a face book page. but it said they were affiliated with rustans

• Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

I've had trouble finding sweet bread and butter pickles and sweet relish, so I've made them pretty often. If I do score a jar somewhere, I'll still buy it.  I've made a couple of batches of mayonnaise, but was not that satisfied with it. I'll spring for the real thing of various brands whenever I see any, and lately I've been able to score a few jars of Miracle Whip at SM Hyper, so that was a coup for me! :smile:

• Like 1