What Food/Food Products Do You Now Make That You Used to Take for Granted

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I make my own minestrone. The only thing that I need from S & R is the Italian sausage. The rest of the ingredients are easy enough to make. 

I make my own pizza too from scratch. I even make my own scratch. Same with lasagna. I bake my own bread too. 

I miss good home made gumbo with hot sausages, chicken, shrimp, Ummmmmmmm

• Like 4

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

I make my own minestrone. The only thing that I need from S & R is the Italian sausage. The rest of the ingredients are easy enough to make. 

I make my own pizza too from scratch. I even make my own scratch. Same with lasagna. I bake my own bread too. 

I love everything you mentioned! I have tried to make minestrone a few times, and it wasn't terrible.. but nothing to write home about. I maka a pretty mean lasagna and my gumbo is pretty darned good. if I do say so myself. bread.. blah. i can make pretty good biscuits, but my other breads are just okay.

• Like 2

kalibojerry
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Wow very good I am very impressed I do the same as you I want to make or buy corn tortillas but no luck here in the Philippines not much on soups as my sweetheart does not care for them , here is a little trick I all ways used in my minestrone, navy bean, soups , depending on how much soup you are making, grind bacon, garlic, and parsley and add to the soup in the last 20 to 30 min of cooking the soup the favor will blow you away an old Swiss Chef taught me this and I always made my soups this way through out my career as an Exe. Chef in America  bacon 1/2 pound, garlic 6 cloves, parsley  maybe 1/2 a bunch grind until like a paste I liked it everyone wants to know what the favor is 

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, kalibojerry said:

Wow very good I am very impressed I do the same as you I want to make or buy corn tortillas but no luck here in the Philippines not much on soups as my sweetheart does not care for them , here is a little trick I all ways used in my minestrone, navy bean, soups , depending on how much soup you are making, grind bacon, garlic, and parsley and add to the soup in the last 20 to 30 min of cooking the soup the favor will blow you away an old Swiss Chef taught me this and I always made my soups this way through out my career as an Exe. Chef in America  bacon 1/2 pound, garlic 6 cloves, parsley  maybe 1/2 a bunch grind until like a paste I liked it everyone wants to know what the favor is

Hello Kalibojerry, I've never tried adding bacon to minestrone. I only make enough for 2 days. As for beans, they sell a can of mixed Italian beans at Gaisano mkt. I like the Italian sausage in mine. That's enough cholesterol for me, my wife says. I would hate to see the fat harden and float to the top after it comes out of the fridge the next day.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, kalibojerry said:

I do the same as you I want to make or buy corn tortillas but no luck here in the Philippines

This might depend where you live. You can buy stand and stuff tortilla kits at Rustans. Also there are place that make them here in the Philippines.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/casalatortillaph/about/

http://www.tortilleriaelmexicano.com/products.htm

• Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 4/10/2017 at 11:29 AM, JeSsDaDdY said:

Smoked fish sounds good. Never tried it, though. Time to Google it I suppose.

Technically what I make is more of a cured fish or Gravlox. I only hot/cold smoke fish and meat when I'm home in the USA as I don't have, nor I care to invest in, the necessary equipment.

Don't know where on the forum I can post my recipe for Gravlox (I don't see a "recipes" section), but if you're interested I can PM it to you. Most of the recipes on the net use way too much salt and depend on exact curing times (otherwise the fish comes out as hard as, and tasting like, a salt lick; or just the opposite - soft and mushy). Mine only uses a 35/65 salt/sugar ratio. It comes buttery in texture as well as only mildly salty which allows the flavor of the fish to shine thru.

Edited by Gator
  • Like 1

SNAFU
Posted
Posted

Despite the absence of my favorite brands of required ingredients, I've adapted to local availability and occasionally cook up a pot of my beloved Texas chili, and with pretty darn good results. Another pot of pintos (or dark red kidneys) are served on the side, of course. Yeah, the dried pintos seem to be hit or miss here for some reason :89:, but it eats just fine over rice, too. It's not real popular with the indigenous family, though, it's probably too spicy or not sweet enough, and I'm not about to throw sliced hotdogs into it. :571c66d400c8c_1(103): 

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I must be blessed...  Or it's all the international travel from my Air Farce days...  But I really enjoy the local food..!  And the caranderias (spelling?) around me are great..?  No added msg or sarap crap..  hehe!  But honestly?  Most things I make at home...  Except for tonight...  No water too rince the rice...  And it's raining...  so a crappy Dexter's Pizza for dinner...  :(

• Like 4