Philippines Expats returning to home country what changed?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

For those Expats who have returned to their home country for a visit what changes have you most noticed?

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I thought the Philippines is my home country now..?  :89:

Seriously, I don't intend to go back unless I marry a certain young miss...  It's to her advantage to become Canadian and she is very much younger than I am...

:whistling:

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I go back and forth every 6 months so I see improvements in both countries.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

i do feel like a expat living in England these days

The Commonwealth coming home to roost?

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jpbago said:

I go back and forth every 6 months so I see improvements in both countries.

So do I. The changes are subtle. 

• Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Like Stevewool, I am still resident in UK,

However since retiring, returning to the city of Liverpool that I once daily commuted to, the amount of construction work in progress and development is colossal in the last five years.

Manila has also seen massive development too in the last five years, I refer to the area around the new international airport there.

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Like I said, the changes have been subtle for me and that is why I haven't thought much about it.

Being born and raised in southern California I have noticed how cities have sprung up where there were once orange groves and vineyards. I've seen nice simple middle class neighbourhoods become crime infested. I've seen how the once middle class neighbours have moved away from the city to a more suburban life.  I've seen where crime has increased where it was once a quiet peaceful community. 

If one takes a drive up the local mountains, on the way down you will see a blanket of smog that looks like smoke. That's what we do not notice so much but it's there and what we breathe that once was not there.

Last but not least, I've noticed many immigrants that have made the states their new home. Some legal some illegal but still many more than when I was going to school. I'm not complaining because I'm sure my ancestors were once immigrants. Both sides of my family have family reunions annually. My mother's ancestors were Scotch-Irish and have a big reunion in Texas every year. On my father's side our reunions are small because we all live pretty much in California and socialize frequently anyway.

So, those are some of the subtle changes I have noticed.

Good question.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I visited Cebu City after being away two years the changes were amazing numerous new large buildings many more new cars on the roads.

• Like 5