coming to cebu with my filipina wife

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I always get a 1 year visa. My naturalized US citizen Phil-born wife travels on a US passport.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

I always get a 1 year visa. My naturalized US citizen Phil-born wife travels on a US passport.

Does she need to show anything to let them know that she is Filipino?

• Like 1

SNAFU
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa-inquiry/balikbayan-previlege

I guess that means she does not need a Filipino passport provided she can prove she is a former Filipino citizen.  Another hit for the Davester.

You are indeed correct, Dave. If traveling on a USA passport, and it lists her birthplace as the Philippines, no further proof required. Asawa is a dual citizen, but always presents both of our USA passports to the Immigration agent upon our arrival, and very politely requests a BB stamp for both of us. It has always been cheerfully granted without further questions.  

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

While everything you say in your post is true.  I am not convinced she must be on a Philippine Passport.  I know of one filipina who married an American and they have lived in Florida for years.  They still come here on a BB visa and I am pretty sure she has an American passport now.  But perhaps she has both.  I'd surely check on it if it was me. :morning1:

Dual citizenship I would bet. It's how we do it 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Old55 said:

Dual citizenship I would bet. It's how we do it 

Is there a circumstance where a Filipino has to give up Filipino citizenship in order to get U.S. citizenship?  Just curious.  With my kids born in the Philippines the dual status was fairly automatic but I am not sure how it works when a Filipino moves to the U.S. and then applies for citizenship.

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Other than the passport, why would they want to get US citizenship (and I admit the passport can be a pretty big deal)?

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

If the wife enters on a foreign passport she also gets the 1 year balikibayan. If you are only staying a while it is best to enter on the foreign passport as you avoid the travel tax when leaving again. If you enter for a short stay on a Filipino pasport and live abroad you need to get an exemption cert for the travel tax which when we last did it involve a day out at the BI.

• Like 3

SNAFU
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Reboot said:

Other than the passport, why would they want to get US citizenship (and I admit the passport can be a pretty big deal)?

All of the other rights and benefits of US citizenship. Google "benefits of US citizenship over green card" or something similar, that will give you an idea.

• Like 3

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, SNAFU said:

All of the other rights and benefits of US citizenship. Google "benefits of US citizenship over green card" or something similar, that will give you an idea.

OK you can vote and run for office. Speaking from a strictly rational perspective, that isn't a very valuable benefit. And now you get taxed globally for the pleasure of throwing your little piece of paper in the box.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 1

SNAFU
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Reboot said:

OK you can vote and run for office. Speaking from a strictly rational perspective, that isn't a very valuable benefit. And now you get taxed globally for the pleasure of throwing your little piece of paper in the box.

Well, there's assistance, benefits and some Federal programs, too, and they can petition for family members to join them. IDK, that might be valuable to some, but now we're clearly OT. :tiphat:

• Like 3