coming to cebu with my filipina wife

KC813
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Is there a circumstance where a Filipino has to give up Filipino citizenship in order to get U.S. citizenship?  Just curious.  With my kids born in the Philippines the dual status was fairly automatic but I am not sure how it works when a Filipino moves to the U.S. and then applies for citizenship.

Not any more.  Philippine law used to force any Filipino that took citizenship in another country to lose their Filipino citizenship.  That changed in 2003 when Philippines finally recognized dual citizenship and allowed those who lost citizenship to reacquire their PI citizenship.

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 4/18/2017 at 0:08 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

This from the BI

www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa-inquiry/balikbayan-previlege

I guess that means she does not need a Filipino passport provided she can prove she is a former Filipino citizen.  Another hit for the Davester.

This is correct - thanks Dave. A Balikbayan is not defined as just a Philippines citizen. When you get your US citizenship you have to give up your Philippines citizenship. The even in that  case, she is still a Balikbayan.

Now dual citizenship is different. When she arrives back in the Philippines she can re-apply for Philippines citizenship and passport. When that is finalized she is dual.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
On 4/19/2017 at 10:09 AM, OnMyWay said:

Is there a circumstance where a Filipino has to give up Filipino citizenship in order to get U.S. citizenship?  Just curious.  With my kids born in the Philippines the dual status was fairly automatic but I am not sure how it works when a Filipino moves to the U.S. and then applies for citizenship.

On 4/20/2017 at 7:26 AM, KC813 said:

Not any more.  Philippine law used to force any Filipino that took citizenship in another country to lose their Filipino citizenship.  That changed in 2003 when Philippines finally recognized dual citizenship and allowed those who lost citizenship to reacquire their PI citizenship.

Yes, Philippine (or any other Country) citizenship is renounced as part of gaining US citizenship. However, it is a fairly painless process (but a process that needs doing) to reacquire PI Citizenship and be dual US/Philippine Citizen. 

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
On 4/18/2017 at 9:33 PM, SNAFU said:

You are indeed correct, Dave. If traveling on a USA passport, and it lists her birthplace as the Philippines, no further proof required. Asawa is a dual citizen, but always presents both of our USA passports to the Immigration agent upon our arrival, and very politely requests a BB stamp for both of us. It has always been cheerfully granted without further questions.  

So.... what you are saying is, at least for entering with Balikbayan stamp, it has always been Situation Normal All Filippine Utopia???? :crack-up:

• Like 2

lonewolf
Posted
Posted
On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:09 PM, OnMyWay said:

my asawa s cousin just reapplied for her dual citizenship and passport. she did have to surrender her original phil passport the day she took her oath. she also registered her son birth to embassy so they could apply if they wanted to for a dual citizenship, I was there when she did it.

lonewolf
Posted
Posted
On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:52 AM, SNAFU said:

Well, there's assistance, benefits and some Federal programs, too, and they can petition for family members to join them. IDK, that might be valuable to some, but now we're clearly OT. :tiphat:

also it makes them eligible to apply for some civil service jobs