Philippines Customs and CITES Treaty

davewe
Posted
Posted

I am an amateur luthier and sometime guitar player. I either sold or gave away (to my kids) all my guitars, save one, which I will be bringing to the Philippines. It's my latest build and I'm very happy with the sound and playability. Because of my fear of the airlines and baggage handlers, I sprung for a more expensive case to protect my baby; a Hiscox (British made) case. So now I thought I am covered.

However, the new changes to the CITES treaty which covers wood exportation includes all rosewoods, ebonies, cocobolo, etc. In fact it's hard to make a quality guitar without using some of these woods. I know that the US, for example, allows an exemption for bringing in "banned" woods that are part of a personal musical instrument.

My experience having gone through Philippines customs many times is that they generally don't even look at the bags. But in this instance who knows. I have emailed the Philippines Customs Dept. to see if they can tell me what the rules are and what I can or should do about it.

The changes in the treaty have only been in place for a few months but I wondered if anyone has come into the country with banned wood and what your experience was. I would think it's safest to declare what I have and document that it's my own personal guitar, rather than hoping it'll get passed through customs.

BTW, here's a few pics:

DSC00458.jpg

DSC00462.jpg

DSC00489.jpg

DSC00513.jpg

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

I doubt immigration is going to have many wood experts.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, davewe said:

BTW, here's a few pics:

DSC00458.jpg

DSC00462.jpg

DSC00489.jpg

DSC00513.jpg

Wow Davewe, awesome craftsmanship!

Edited by Jake
  • Like 3

bows00
Posted
Posted

My baby is the Martin D-28 Keb Mo Signature model with Koa backing.  Yeah, my baby...

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

My gosh those are lovely, amazing craftsmanship!

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Wow, beautiful work!

I did some research and reading on CITES.  The vast majority of the treaty is designed to prevent the import/export of endangered animals, insects, fish, and other sea life.  With respect to "Flora" everything that refers to trees "appears" to me to relate to "logs, sawed woods, extracts, chips, etc" .  The primary purpose to prevent the excess import/export logs and/or lumber of certain exotic hardwoods.

I don't think you will have the slightest problem with bringing in your guitar.  Could be quite the opposite, I bet it will attract a lot of admiration and positive response from any inspection.  Also I think inspectors will be looking for animals, sea shells, etc.  As long as you don't have a leather back baby turtle in your pocket you should be fine. :whistling:

Here is the link to the CITES treaty.  Like most government attempts to regulate it is long, verbose, boring, and contains language that only lawyers and politicians seem to prefer.  Read at your own risk. :89:

https://cites.org/eng/disc/text.php

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Wow, beautiful work!

I did some research and reading on CITES.  The vast majority of the treaty is designed to prevent the import/export of endangered animals, insects, fish, and other sea life.  With respect to "Flora" everything that refers to trees "appears" to me to relate to "logs, sawed woods, extracts, chips, etc" .  The primary purpose to prevent the excess import/export logs and/or lumber of certain exotic hardwoods.

I don't think you will have the slightest problem with bringing in your guitar.  Could be quite the opposite, I bet it will attract a lot of admiration and positive response from any inspection.  Also I think inspectors will be looking for animals, sea shells, etc.  As long as you don't have a leather back baby turtle in your pocket you should be fine. :whistling:

Here is the link to the CITES treaty.  Like most government attempts to regulate it is long, verbose, boring, and contains language that only lawyers and politicians seem to prefer.  Read at your own risk. :89:

https://cites.org/eng/disc/text.php

Among guitar makers and wood suppliers it is a big issue but since the changes are so new the impact is still speculative. If a luthier is shipping a guitar out of the country then he/she is supposed to document where the wood was sourced.

For the musician carrying an instrument to another country this "should" be easier but the general recommendation is to check with Customs in that country.

So based on that I emailed Philippines Customs. To my surprise/shock they responded in less than a day. Here's what they said:

"Good day!

Please be advised that guitars are not included in the regulated imports list. As a general rule, importations into the Philippines are subject to payment of customs duties and taxes unless these are exempted on the strength of specific provision/s of law/s, such as Section 800 of the Customs Modernization and Tariff Act (CMTA), Section 109 of the National Internal Revenue Code (NIRC), and other laws. 

Under the Section 800 subsection (H) of the CMTA, "instruments and similar effects accompanying travelers, or tourists, or arriving within a reasonable time before or after their arrival in the Philippines, which are necessary and appropriate for the wear and use of such persons according to the nature of the journey, their comfort and convenience: Provided , That this exemption shall not apply to goods intended for other persons or for barter, sale or hire: Provided, however, That the Bureau may require either a written commitment or a security in an amount equal to one hundred percent (100%) of the ascertained duties, taxes and other charges thereon, conditioned for the exportation thereof or payment of the corresponding duties, taxes and other charges within three (3) months from the date of acceptance of the goods declaration: Provided, further, That the Bureau may extend the time for exportation or payment of duties, taxes and other charges for a term not exceeding three (3) months from the expiration of the original period."

Kindly reply directly to this message. 

Thank you and have a nice day!"

I am interpreting this that I should be exempt. 

• Like 1