How many do as I did...do

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 4/22/2017 at 6:07 AM, Gerald Glatt said:

Had a hard time finding borax - never did actually,

Try a hardware store and ask for welding flux.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 4/20/2017 at 10:55 AM, OnMyWay said:

Dry sugar?

I have made some syrupy concoctions before.  Sometimes they worked to attract the ants and sometimes not.  I just dropped some pancake syrup by the ants and they seem to like it.

I was in a hurry Friday before we left for Baguio. so I just sprinkled the welding flux / borax on some pieces of cardboard, poured a bit of pancake syrup on it and swished it together.

Didn't seem to work.  The tiny sugar ants in the kitchen seemed to ignore it and are still going strong.  The sugar ants in the bedroom were eating it but are still around.  The black ants around my desk were eating it but it seems to have no impact on them.

I still have a little bit of a type like this one shown and it works.  I guess I will have to use it and get some more next month in the U.S.

713SSCNQdIL._SL1500_.jpg

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I still have a little bit of a type like this one shown and it works.

I've got some of that, like in your pic, and I've never managed to get it to work.  How do you use it?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I've got some of that, like in your pic, and I've never managed to get it to work.  How do you use it?

The one I have is PIC brand, not the one shown.  The PIC brand is only 60% boric acid and I see now that on Amazon, several are 100%.  I'm not sure if it was the PIC or another brand I brought from the U.S. that worked for ants.  They all seem to work good for cockroaches by simply spreading the powder around in cockroach areas.

For ants, the last time I used it was a few years ago.  I found a few recipes in the Amazon comments.  I think I boiled corn syrup and Karo syrup and mixed the powder in.  Then put it in bottle caps around various places.  At our first house here in Subic we had a lot of the big red ants we call Mango ants.  They were more of an annoyance outside because they rarely come inside.  I would pour larger amounts on those trees.  They would feast on it and then the next day they would be gone.

The problem was, I would make a batch that seemed to work, then the next time it would seem not to.  The recipes I found then were not very specific on ratios, so I may have put in too much or too little.

I just searched for "ant killer recipe" and there is a lot out there.  I will try a new one if I find a good one.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

The one I have is PIC brand, not the one shown.  The PIC brand is only 60% boric acid and I see now that on Amazon, several are 100%.  I'm not sure if it was the PIC or another brand I brought from the U.S. that worked for ants.  They all seem to work good for cockroaches by simply spreading the powder around in cockroach areas.

For ants, the last time I used it was a few years ago.  I found a few recipes in the Amazon comments.  I think I boiled corn syrup and Karo syrup and mixed the powder in.  Then put it in bottle caps around various places.  At our first house here in Subic we had a lot of the big red ants we call Mango ants.  They were more of an annoyance outside because they rarely come inside.  I would pour larger amounts on those trees.  They would feast on it and then the next day they would be gone.

The problem was, I would make a batch that seemed to work, then the next time it would seem not to.  The recipes I found then were not very specific on ratios, so I may have put in too much or too little.

I just searched for "ant killer recipe" and there is a lot out there.  I will try a new one if I find a good one.

I think the ant soon learn what to avoid. I took some of the super ant killer from the UK and they wouldn't go near it.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I used to put mothballs by the doors, where electric cords touched the floor, in trash cans ect. Seems to repel them pretty well.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

For the tiny sugar ants, Terro used to work well for me in Florida.  I will probably stock up on that in the U.S. as it is much cheaper there.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

For the tiny sugar ants, Terro used to work well for me in Florida.  I will probably stock up on that in the U.S. as it is much cheaper there.

From my knowledge which is not much, ants are attracted to anything sweet so when making bait add what ever sweetener you have. A month ago our little boy kept waking in the night and later discovered the reason was teddybear had yogurt smeared on it so ants were in his bed and biting. :Mad: 

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

As OP it's rather interesting the main topic of this thread was, what does one do when one purchases a product, displayed as p120 and cashier says no sir it's p150.

The ant issue was secondary issue which has attracted the most if not all the interest.

It would be most heartening to the OP to read some comments relating to the title of the thread.....

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, RBM said:

what does one do when one purchases a product, displayed as p120 and cashier says no sir it's p150.

On the occasions (and it does happen quite often) there is a price difference at the Till my wife will find the price checker (Electronic) if they have one and verify. If the Shelf price Pack Price label) [if it has one] is lower than the amount on the Barcode she will ask for a Supervisor. The normal answer is well that is an Old Label,:89: (so change it) she will either have a Go to get it through on a varied PLU ( Input of the Barcode but a different Price) if we are tight for time or the issue is not that important she will just say OH! put it back on the Shelf.

Only once has she done this when I have been with her shopping, leave the Whole trolley of shopping and walk away when so many articles were wrongly priced on the shelf to that at the Till. (she never takes her eyes off the till Screen) It is not easy I know to run some retails shops but to my mind, it is bad when they can't do a price check when doing the date checks and Stock Rotation :hystery:(if they ever do at some places)

Jack :smile:

Morning All :morning1:

• Like 2