How many do as I did...do
1 1

50 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Mike J said:

 The clerk IS NOT allowed to

I think I see your point.  The "clerk" is not allowed to but that same clerk is expected to call a manager who IS allowed to and as a representative of the store is required to follow the law.  Is that what you mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

sometimes I can be soft

There's herbal remedies for that :hystery:.

But seriously, I don't always insist on getting the sticker price.  Many times I have let it go because I don't want to make waves.  I only wrote about the 2 times I did not "let it go".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I think I see your point.  The "clerk" is not allowed to but that same clerk is expected to call a manager who IS allowed to and as a representative of the store is required to follow the law.  Is that what you mean?

Exactly, a clerk cannot make the adjustment, only managers.  And if the manager is a real pr%*k, they will first try to screw the customer or make the poor clerk eat the supposed "loss of revenue".  I think this is why the clerk may hesitate to call a manager with a pricing problem.  I pity the poor clerk who is caught in the middle,  or as my dad would say "caught between a rock and hard place".

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

Exactly, a clerk cannot make the adjustment, only managers.  And if the manager is a real pr%*k, they will first try to screw the customer or make the poor clerk eat the supposed "loss of revenue".  I think this is why the clerk may hesitate to call a manager with a pricing problem.  I pity the poor clerk who is caught in the middle,  or as my dad would say "caught between a rock and hard place".

If the shelf price and the cash register price do not match frequently, then the staff has to discuss this at their regular meetings and insist that the shelf stockers do put the correct price on the items, then the problem is fixed. It is only people and things, it is done in the rest of the world so it can be done in the Philippines as well. You can't just throw your hands up in the air and live with inconsistencies.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mike J said:

  If the clerk is allowed to charge what the sticker says instead of what the computer says, how long until you would be able to buy your own price stickers on every street corner?  I am convinced that you would have a flood of people putting their own stickers on products and demanding the lower sticker price.  I used to get frustrated when I would buy a light bulb, a flashlight, mixer, television, whatever - and out of the box it came.  "See sir, it works."  I was thinking "Well hell yes it works, it is brand new in the package.  Why are you wasting my time, and how are you going to get all that crap back in the box?"  I now realize they do this as a protection against the customer coming back the next day with the old burned out bulb and claiming the one they bought was defective.  Another example - in the USA if your restaurant order comes out not to your liking and you speak with the waiter, you will almost certainly get some type of consideration on your bill, or the food replaced.  One time I asked the server to come to my table and showed her a "lip print" on my wine glass.  She took it away, brought back a new glass of wine, and explained that there would be no wine charge on my bill. Again if you did this in the Philippines, people would start to carry their own lipstick so they could get free wine, soft drinks, etc.  The USA model of customer service, designed to create repeat business with the customer, would simply not work here in the Philippines at this point in time.  There would be way too many people who would want to "game the system" and take the business for ride.

Please understand that I AM NOT bashing the Philippine people or Philippine business.  I absolutely love it here and have no desire to leave.  The retail system here "is what it is" and it (sort of) works for both retailer and customer.  I just don't expect it to change any time soon.   

This dishonesty and corruption from cradle to grave also has to change if the Philippines is to move up in the world. It should not be accepted.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The price on the self is only an offer to sell, it is not a binding contract. If you take an item to the till and the till price is higher you pay the till price or walk. The shop own can refuse to sell at the lower price and withdraw the item from sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gary D said:

The price on the self is only an offer to sell, it is not a binding contract. If you take an item to the till and the till price is higher you pay the till price or walk. The shop own can refuse to sell at the lower price and withdraw the item from sale.

 Sorry totally disagree, the price on the Shelf IS the selling price if changes are made and the bar code price is Higher then the lower price is that should be Charged. The Consumer act (For what it is here) Stipulates this;

http://noelizm.blogspot.com/2012/06/different-tag-price-vs-bar-code-price.html

Please read the whole Article to be aware. :thumbsup: 

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:42 PM, RBM said:

Yes same same, also was only p30 .

Wonder if our reaction is typical and if this happens on a regular basis. As an example my SO often buys in bulk to save the hassle of shopping regularly, the bill is often around P5K so could be many what ifs in there. 

I've actually wondered about that, too, but never lost any sleep over it. :89:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

 Sorry totally disagree, the price on the Shelf IS the selling price if changes are made and the bar code price is Higher then the lower price is that should be Charged. The Consumer act (For what it is here) Stipulates this;

http://noelizm.blogspot.com/2012/06/different-tag-price-vs-bar-code-price.html

Please read the whole Article to be aware. :thumbsup: 

Thanks Jack, great info and a passive weapon that needs to be remembered (stored away in the grey matter) for future price discrepancies, something that has happened to me and I'm sure many other readers.

Cheers, Steve. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dittos, Steve. That's a pretty cool blog, too, Jack.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
1 1