b12 deficiency - need injections - only offered pills.

aro
Posted
Posted

Hi. Do any of you have any suggestions to where in Cebu (or even Manila) we can get b12 injections? Myself and my girlfriend moved down here last June. She have a b12 deficiency, but because it can be  problematic to travel with vitamin shots she opted to try b12 pills instead of injections when we moved. Unfortunately is is becoming more and more obvious that the b12 pills does not work as well as shots. She have been talking to 2 doctors here in Cebu but both of them did not even know that b12 was vitamins.(!) And after she told them it was vitamins they told her vitamin deficiency was only treated with pills. This sounds very strange to me as it quite normal for people with vitamin deficiencies to not be able to get the vitamins from there intestines... 

So our meeting with healthcare professionals here in Cebu have been far from stellar. So do any of you have any recommendations regarding doctors we could speak to what will understand the issue and be able to provide the shots?

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, aro said:

Hi. Do any of you have any suggestions to where in Cebu (or even Manila) we can get b12 injections? Myself and my girlfriend moved down here last June. She have a b12 deficiency, but because it can be  problematic to travel with vitamin shots she opted to try b12 pills instead of injections when we moved. Unfortunately is is becoming more and more obvious that the b12 pills does not work as well as shots. She have been talking to 2 doctors here in Cebu but both of them did not even know that b12 was vitamins.(!) And after she told them it was vitamins they told her vitamin deficiency was only treated with pills. This sounds very strange to me as it quite normal for people with vitamin deficiencies to not be able to get the vitamins from there intestines... 

So our meeting with healthcare professionals here in Cebu have been far from stellar. So do any of you have any recommendations regarding doctors we could speak to what will understand the issue and be able to provide the shots?

Maybe a dietitian could give her a shot.Worth a try I would think.

• Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Aro, from what I could find on Google, I think that vials of B12 could be purchased at Mercury Drug and other reputable pharmacies in Cebu, but you'd need a doctor's consult and a prescription. Many general practice/internist doctors at Cebu Doctors' Hospital or Chong Hua Hospital could probably help your girlfriend get the vial and inject it for her.

• Like 5

Reboot
Posted
Posted

There is sublingual B-12...you put a little tab under your tongue. I don't know whether or not that gets around the inability to absorb...but it avoids the GI tract. It's available here in the US, don't know about the Ph.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Aro, from what I could find on Google, I think that vials of B12 could be purchased at Mercury Drug and other reputable pharmacies in Cebu, but you'd need a doctor's consult and a prescription. Many general practice/internist doctors at Cebu Doctors' Hospital or Chong Hua Hospital could probably help your girlfriend get the vial and inject it for her.

I agree with Queenie. Both those hospitals generally have more knowledgeable doctors. I would think they would better providing that care or know who can.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

I get mine in Seattle from a compounding pharmacy, but sound like avail in PI  from above post.  If doing b12, then you need to also take Folic Acid.   For B12, you Really want to use B12 Methylcobalamin oral vice Cyanocobalamin (a synthetic form of B12 )     as it's the most bio available form for your body and much more absorbed.  The under tongue version Reboot mentioned is best and sometimes can find liquid drops versions.   

And for the "Folic Acid", you want   FOLATE vice. Folic Acid, as first one is natural form and the later if synthetic.  Sometimes label will say Folic Acid and small print will say something like "as Folate" or look on the contents label itself. 

With the testosterone I mentioned in other post, Doc has me on B12 and Folic Acid injection 1x per week, and take the tabs daily on the other 6 days.  Makes pretty big difference for red blood cells. I've gotten by on orals for 3 months when unable to get back to US to resupply, and if doing the injectable version, it has to be kept in Fridge  (I transport in luggage with a cold pack and freezer block). 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 3:10 AM, aro said:

any suggestions

This might sound tonged in cheek, but it really isn't, I personally would try the major area hospitals. If there are new expensive cars out front. That's your place, if there is a jeepney stop in front keep looking. Medical care here is just as good as our home countries, if your willing to pay for it:smile:

• Like 4

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

And sorry to all to sound like the "known it all" on this and the testosterone thread....I'm just repeating what the very good doctor told me in Seattle and I always pick his brain during visits.  Thought worth passing on what he had to say.