To jab or not to jab

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have been considering getting the flu jab as there are so many colds with flu like symptoms going around over here.

What do you think is it worth do you think it will help.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

What do you think is it worth do you think it will help.

I have never had a "Flu Jab" but I hear a lot of people swear by them, Always wary now of additional medications with everything else I have to contend with However I am sure you have researched this but incase not and for those that may like to read and think about it I had this stored away;

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

Seems it may be good for the over 50's so maybe I will heed this Topic and have a Word with my Doctor when I see her next Month :smile:

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I used to get them every year until about 1987 when I had enough experience to compare results of people with and without. Also found out how many different strains there are, that the CDC guesses which strains will be the most prevalent this year and has the formula made specific to the top few. Their 'batting average' is just as good as weather forecasters so you often have protection for the wrong strain. In the time since I have stopped taking the annual guess I have observed myself getting sick less often and less severe. I am a firm believer in 'Correlation does not imply causation' but my personal experience has me in the "keep that crap away from me" crowd. If I see that I was getting sick more often and/or worse than those taking it, I would also. This has just not been the case in (WOW) 3 decades I have been turning it down now.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I always got flu shots in the USA.  I had a private office but I was in contact with quite a few people each day and in the fall and winter it seemed like there was always someone who brought illness into the office.  I have not gotten the shots since I retired here.  In the four years I have lived in the Philippines, I have had the flu one time.  That came about 4 or 5 days after I had to visit the emergency ward in Cebu City due to kidney stones.  Easy to say, harder to do, but the best way to avoid the flu is to avoid being around stranger during the flu season.  

• Like 2

lonewolf
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

I used to get them every year until about 1987 when I had enough experience to compare results of people with and without. Also found out how many different strains there are, that the CDC guesses which strains will be the most prevalent this year and has the formula made specific to the top few. Their 'batting average' is just as good as weather forecasters so you often have protection for the wrong strain. In the time since I have stopped taking the annual guess I have observed myself getting sick less often and less severe. I am a firm believer in 'Correlation does not imply causation' but my personal experience has me in the "keep that crap away from me" crowd. If I see that I was getting sick more often and/or worse than those taking it, I would also. This has just not been the case in (WOW) 3 decades I have been turning it down now.

I never had the flu until I had the shot.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

In Canada, the flu vaccine is made from the strains of flu in Asia flu season. I wonder if the Asian vaccine is made from the North American flu strains. For me, I always got the flu vaccine in Canada when I was there in November but not lately. Now I get the pneumonia and shingles vaccine.

My belief on the flu vaccine is that it may not always prevent it but if you do get the flu, it will be less of a problem. As Mike says, stay away from people during flu season and wash your hands frequently plus do not touch your face with your hands.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Flu shots once a year. Pneumonia shots every ten years (new vaccine). Recommended for all seniors and paid by Medicare. You can get violently ill and even die from the new flu strains. Remember how the Influenza epidemic reduced the global population? Could happen again and you don't have immunity.

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jpbago said:

In Canada, the flu vaccine is made from the strains of flu in Asia flu season. I wonder if the Asian vaccine is made from the North American flu strains. For me, I always got the flu vaccine in Canada when I was there in November but not lately. Now I get the pneumonia and shingles vaccine.

My belief on the flu vaccine is that it may not always prevent it but if you do get the flu, it will be less of a problem. As Mike says, stay away from people during flu season and wash your hands frequently plus do not touch your face with your hands.

I was also considering the  pneumonia and shingles vaccine.I do not get in close contact with many people but my daughter does in school.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Pneumonia shots every ten years

I know a 73 year old who had that pneumonia shot and yet still ended up in hospital, in Dumaguete, with pneumonia.  I also know a guy who was 70 and did not get the shot.  He also ended up in hospital, in Dumaguete with pneumonia.  The difference is that Tom, who did not get the vaccine, died and Jon pulled through.  Jon credits his survival to the pneumonia shot lessening the symptoms.  Is he right?  Well he is alive.

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted

Not only innoculations against the flu but we should also keep in mind about all the germs and bacteria that are contaminating all common surface areas like in jeepneys, tricycles and door handles.  I am not a clean freak but I always bring with me a small face towel and alcohol.  

• Like 2