To jab or not to jab

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

My previous partner is a senior manager in an old peoples care home. She has a good thirty years experience and she swore that after a lot of her residents got the flu jab death rates went through the roof. She was anti them for anyone in poor health as she had documented everyone's deaths as part of her remit.

Her notes showed that people in poor health without the jag lasted longer with their underlying illnesses than those given the jag. She said it placed an added strain on their already weakened bodies. Older healthier people however benefited. They still got the flu but to a minor extent.

• Like 4

KC813
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, lonewolf said:

I never had the flu until I had the shot.

In never had a cold until I had a girlfriend.  I won't elaborate....but it seemed a reasonable tradeoff at the time.  :smile:

Is anyone worried about the quality/handling of the solutions in the Ph?  From my limited understanding of medicine (everything I know I learned on M*A*S*H), the compound has limited shelf life and must be kept at a specific temperature.  I'm sure there are some top notch med facilities, but some of the hospitals and med offices I've visited did not leave me very confident in their quality control procedures!

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

This one is a tough call because vaccinations are preventive. We don't know whether or not they really work. My preference is to follow the medical opinion that overall a vaccination helps develop immunity. Other vaccines like polio and cholera have eradicated once dreadful diseases. 

My wife and I are in Florida at the moment. There are warning billboards on the highways about the Zika virus which is spread by mosquitoes. We are taking a cruise to Caribbean islands. As a precaution we purchased mosquito repellent at a pharmacy. We also use mosquito repellent while visiting the Philippines although in Metro Manila the pollution has probably killed all the mosquitoes.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

We don't know whether or not they really work.

I am a little puzzled, could you expand on this? 

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Mike J said:

38 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

We don't know whether or not they really work.

I am a little puzzled, could you expand on this? 

Since the flu vaccine is preventive, we don't know if not contracting the flu was due to the vaccine or maybe, even without the vaccination, we wouldn't get the flu. For me, getting a shot is a minor inconvenience.

7 minutes ago, Mike J said:

• Like 1

jrlee183
Posted
Posted

I used to have one every year, but stopped a few years ago.  Ive had fewer days off sick without the flu jab, than i did when I had it. 

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I get the flu jab every year due to type 2 diabetes. Not had the flu for 25 years, rarely a day of sick then usual because I've put my back out. The worst I've had is an achie arm for a couple of days after.

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

There are two strains of flu from which the CDC picks a vaccine every year.  Two years ago they picked wrong, many caught the flu.  The vaccine is manufactured from a DEAD virus there is no chance of getting the flu from the shot.  Many catch a cold URI and think they have the flu.....you can get pneumonia from a cold and die..you die much easier with the flu.  The pneumonia vaccine protects against only one kind of the  disease forget if it's bacterial or viral.  Whichever it is the other kills too.  if you must be out and about with the sick folks wash your hands after you touch any thing or person..it helps.  Myself, I am a coward, I take every vaccine of anything that I feel I may be exposed to.  So far this has worked 8 decades 70 years out of forever.   I may be wrong but I"M ALIVE..of course so are you, so guess it doesn't matter.    

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted

The vaccines are quadrivalent these days---four strains. The lead time is something on the order of six months before doses become available. Way too long. Mutations, gene drift, and so on means that the vaccine may not be protective against that season's dominant strain.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I'm a strong believer in immunization shots. I get an annual Flu vaccine whenever they come out. I'm up to date on all other shots.

I've been here 6 years and never been sick with  not even a cold. 

I'm not a gambler. I even wear one of those cheap cloth masks when I ride the jeepneys. 

I'm not paranoid either, even if there is someone under every rock and behind every tree out to get me.

• Like 5