Dumaguete to Cebu Ferry and Bus - Safe?

bows00
Posted
Posted

On my next trip, I would like to spend more time in Dumaguete, then take the ferry and bus to Cebu so I can take a look at the coast line.  With all the talk and news of terrorist uprising in Bohol, do you think it is safe to travel this route?  Has anyone heard of abductions of tourist buses along this route?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Dave nailed it with his post.  Very safe, long, and mostly boring trip.  The closest you should come to terrorist activity will be the way the bus is being driven. 

• Like 5

Gary D
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Mike J said:

Dave nailed it with his post.  Very safe, long, and mostly boring trip.  The closest you should come to terrorist activity will be the way the bus is being driven. 

The once we've made that trip the driver was trying out for the indy 5000. It was a lot better when you could take the ferry directly from Cebu to Dumaguete. You would see a lot more of the coast that way as well.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Riding the bus to Cebu, I more enjoyed the mountain scenery as the beach was mostly shingle.

bows00
Posted
Posted

Is it possible to catch a boat from Dumaguete to Cebu?

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bows00 said:

Is it possible to catch a boat from Dumaguete to Cebu?

Unless it's restarted no. There was a couple of years ago a sea jet running via Bohol but it stopped for some reason. I do wonder if it was more political than lack of profit. It's not unsual for routes to change because one mayor offers more than another.

• Like 1

Ram1957
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

Unless it's restarted no. There was a couple of years ago a sea jet running via Bohol but it stopped for some reason. I do wonder if it was more political than lack of profit. It's not unsual for routes to change because one mayor offers more than another.

There is a ferry that goes to Cebu every night at approximately 11:30 pm 7 days a week.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Ram1957 said:

There is a ferry that goes to Cebu every night at approximately 11:30 pm 7 days a week.

You may be thinking of this one?

cokaliong.jpg

It does not go 7 days a week but close enough, unless you pick the one or two days it is not leaving :-) They don't let you board until about 11 pm which is silly as the boat is there and they could let you on and grab a bunk, but no.  They make you wait.

Price is not bad for the non aircon, economy bunks (320 pesos to Cebu) but it doubles for the aircon "tourist class" and gets ridiculous if you want a cabin.  But considering how long the bus takes (due to heavy traffic) it is a pretty nice alternative.

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I might do that trip when my daughter is a little older.Last time I went to cebu I wanted to fly back to give them their first flight. It didn`t happen as my wife forgot her ID,now seeing as she missed out she carries ID everywhere we go.Is the 320 per person?

• Like 1