You report, or we deport! Bureau of Immigration lays down law to foreigners

robert k
Posted
Posted

Does this apply to those who are on 59 days tourist visa in which by default you would be reporting within the first 60 days of the year anyway?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, robert k said:

Does this apply to those who are on 59 days tourist visa in which by default you would be reporting within the first 60 days of the year anyway?

If you mean those who renew every two months, yes.  Check your bill for the renewal in either January or Feb and you will notice an extra 300 or so pesos for "annual reporting fee" each year you do it.  But its automatic so if you did not check your receipt you may not even notice.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If you mean those who renew every two months, yes.  Check your bill for the renewal in either January or Feb and you will notice an extra 300 or so pesos for "annual reporting fee" each year you do it.  But its automatic so if you did not check your receipt you may not even notice.

Thanks Dave. After a while I quit checking. I caught them once overcharging me but after that I quit looking, wasn't worth the trouble. I did notice that the one that overcharged me was no longer there the next time.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Jack,

I was thinking about this new policy, and I was wondering about a few specific things.. Maybe you or others could explore/answer these questions.

Why don't many people report anyway? Besides the obvious money or criminal issues?  If people without permanent visas are behind in their payments, do you think that there will be some amnesty type program that would help them get back on track? Otherwise why would they ever venture to report?

A lot of residents here are quite elderly, or will become elderly in the nearer future. What happens to an expat it they were sick or handicapped and couldn't make it in to the immigration office as they get older? You couldn't really have anyone come in your stead, like they do when a SO makes a visa payment and gets a passport stamped for them?

The is a quite elderly gentleman expat that lives not far from me. He uses two crutches to walk, and has other health issues that pretty much keep him housebound now except for an occasional doctor visit. He's  not married,but has a longtime partner, but I don't think after all this time he even has an alien ID card. He pretty much lives here "under the radar"  Do you think that there are many expats  also like him in the same situation?

Short of someone committing a crime and getting arrested, or doing something that might arouse suspicion, how would anyone even know if you haven't reported? Will the immigration office start trying to round people up or seek them out in some way?

Food for thought..

Queenie

As far as Gerald's question about BB priviledge,  You can be a resident who lives permanently and goes out of the country and returns to renew that BB priviledge. This exempts you from having to report each year I would think.

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

Does that apply to BB privledge too.

No

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

It will get sorted eventually and whichever thing they do we will still not be happy

Not sure it makes any difference to those like yourself who head down to the BI every year?

13 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Can't talk about the SSRV cos i don't know But the whole Sections 9 & 13 of the Immigration Act ( with all categories in them) are subject to reporting, Let's not forget Students, Work permit Holders & such, there are many :smile: when Registered over the 6 months and Hold an ACR card :huh:

oops, I did forget about Students and Work permit holders as don't read much from people in those categories. No idea what their reporting requirement is.

12 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes but if you had a new 6 month visa in say November you still have to do the annual reporting in the first 60 days of the year so will be making that visit. 

Another situation like the drivers license nonsense, even with a 6 month you are defacto reporting twice a year. Using your example would make it 3 (Jan/Feb, May, and November) with the 'reporting fee' added on one of the renewals? Anyone that has done the 6 month, is there a reporting fee on your receipt? I have not done a 6 month yet and didn't think to ask them. 

For those doing 1 or 2 month visitor extensions they are already at BI January and/or February so no added effort required (except paying a higher fee).

robert k
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Hi Jack,

I was thinking about this new policy, and I was wondering about a few specific things.. Maybe you or others could explore/answer these questions.

Why don't many people report anyway? Besides the obvious money or criminal issues?  If people without permanent visas are behind in their payments, do you think that there will be some amnesty type program that would help them get back on track? Otherwise why would they ever venture to report?

A lot of residents here are quite elderly, or will become elderly in the nearer future. What happens to an expat it they were sick or handicapped and couldn't make it in to the immigration office as they get older? You couldn't really have anyone come in your stead, like they do when a SO makes a visa payment and gets a passport stamped for them?

The is a quite elderly gentleman expat that lives not far from me. He uses two crutches to walk, and has other health issues that pretty much keep him housebound now except for an occasional doctor visit. He's married, but I don't think after all this time he even has an alien ID card. He pretty much lives here "under the radar"  Do you think that there are many expats  also like him in the same situation?

Queeny, there was an amnesty some time back. I believe there was a nominal fee that cleared up all unpaid reporting fees and penalties.

I believe there has always been a provision for someone else to report for you if you were mentally incompetent or physically incapacitated. Being me, I am too stubborn to avail myself of this provision, although it looks more attractive by the day! It's also too hard to find someone to admit that they are responsible for me.:hystery:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, AlwaysRt said:

oops, I did forget about Students and Work permit holders as don't read much from people in those categories. No idea what their reporting requirement is.

They fall into the 9 group and Educational area which all have to Report only the Special Visa are exempt from Reporting to BI

Types of visas

The Philippine Immigration Act prescribes fourteen different visas grouped into two broad categories

Section 9 visas (non-immigrant visas), for temporary visits such as those for tourism, business, transit, study or employment

Section 13 visas (immigrant visas), for foreign nationals who wish to become permanent residents in the Philippines

Some visas have been introduced by subsequent legislation or proclamation of the President which are not classified by the Philippine Immigration Act as either being a Section 9 or Section 13 visa. These visas are called special visas and are issued to groups such as retirees, investors and entrepreneurs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_the_Philippines

Just so we can all sing from the Same Hymn Sheet:thumbsup:

embarrased  man.jpg Hmmmm Forgot to say morning all:morning1:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, robert k said:

do you think that there will be some amnesty type program that would help them get back on track?

Queenie, I can't ever see an Amnesty per-say happening but from things we have see written here and heard from sources the BI will open their arms to have people turning themselves in to get straight.

If they are infirm or just too sick to go to BI Their legal Spouses can do it ( I know this from When our Friend Nutz2u2 was so very ill)

All they have to do is obtain a notarized Affidavit of Reasons for non appearance, the Passport and any ACR cards held. a letter of Authority to deal with BI and they can proceed.

Of course it is going to cost in Fines and back extensions etc but better this than Deportation if caught without proper Documentation (Up to date)when updated the Spouse can then do any further extensions and Reporting.

Nothing is impossible but the offender must make the first move on this issue

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Queenie, I can't ever see an Amnesty per-say happening but from things we have see written here and heard from sources the BI will open their arms to have people turning themselves in to get straight.

Sort of is but it costs. http://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra1996/ra_8247_1996.html

According to this news report over 7000 used it this year , http://www.sunstar.com.ph/manila/local-news/2017/03/10/over-100000-resident-foreigners-report-bi-530207

• Like 2