Working here just got harder and more dangerous

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

I thought this must be a joke when I read it. It's hard enough getting a job here as a foreigner but who in their right mind would be happy for the locals to know their wage and address if they get the job? My apologies I've deleted the link as I never realised it was a blog site. In short the blog stated that DOLE had introduced a policy where any foreigner applying for a job should be aware the job was listed with their name, address, and wage. They then gave Filipinos time to apply and petition against the foreigner getting the job. The successful candidates details were meant to be published on the DOLE site and newspapers.

Edited by Snowy79
removed link as per rules
  • Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

Does it really matter? We are all filthy rich. Even that foreigner I saw collecting bottles! Must be a millionaire because he never spends money. Must have the first dollar, pound, frank, mark, yuan he ever made.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

I thought this must be a joke when I read it. It's hard enough getting a job here as a foreigner but who in their right mind would be happy for the locals to know their wage and address if they get the job?

Wow Snowy, I suspect this may be fake news?  Is the Philippines following the US news media now?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Section 6 pretty much lists the current regulations. I read it as the address of the company but who knows. https://www.dole.gov.ph/files/DO 146-15.pdf

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Just a reminder that links to Philippines blogs or forums are breaking the rules. If a member wants to posts links to other Philippines sites they need permission. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Just a reminder that links to Philippines blogs or forums are breaking the rules. If a member wants to posts links to other Philippines sites they need permission. :thumbsup:

My apologies. I thought it was a Philippines news site. I'll take myself outside and have words. :bonk:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I thought this must be a joke when I read it. It's hard enough getting a job here as a foreigner but who in their right mind would be happy for the locals to know their wage and address if they get the job? 

A fine of PHP 10k, thrilling. While very affordable, (the fine) obviously flies in the face of availability of competent management/crew for an unmet criteria within the Philippines. (many countries also) Employment will always be available to those that have the Knowhow whether Filipino, Estonian or Aussie. Big corps use head hunters both within and external for the growth of the company/institution for the betterment of the share holders,private owners and/or investors. Publishing incomes and nationality won't or shouldn't deter for those taking the roll/job, who cares I have the appointment, what does say to the locals? No matter the country, what the f*** am I doing wrong. Why didn't I get the job?

I will retire in PH while others look for work, at the end of the day a dollar is a dollar and if you have what it takes and feel comfortable to take a local job because you have the expertise and drive to expand/manage, go for it. (Been there) You think high roller or even lower paid positions are available for no reason? Who gives a sh1t, opportunity knocks, experience and track record sells.

As for the locals knowing what we were paid was sacrosanct and while they assumed we were paid more than they were was never discussed or an issue. The locals were very happy to have employment and a good wage comparatively to norms. A growing prospering country requires input from external sources, Australia the US or the Philippines is no different, expertise is employed to get the job done, all others go to the back. Mismanagement in a key roll closes many doors, eventually bitten or prosperity, depends on the shark. (no names mentioned) My opinion only.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 2

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

My apologies. I thought it was a Philippines news site. I'll take myself outside and have words. :bonk:

Go and slap yourself Snowy, my turn is coming I am sure.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:huh: I tend to think that there is more to this that just foreigners;

DOLE finds probable cause for
illegal recruitment of 77 

http://www.visayandailystar.com/2017/April/29/negor3.htm

Seems to me, that they are having a Good all round Look at Employment.:89:

• Like 1

KC813
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Section 6 pretty much lists the current regulations. I read it as the address of the company but who knows. https://www.dole.gov.ph/files/DO 146-15.pdf

Reading the link above, I see probationary/temporary/permanent residents under section 13 visaholders are exempt from these particular employment restrictions.  For other people, as we all have seen, ‘irregular’ employment is very common!

Like many smaller countries, the Philippines picks and chooses provisions of US immigration laws and then modifies the provisions for their own use.

The public publication of job and wage details is taken from two sections of US law that *sometimes* require an employer to prove there are no US workers available before hiring a foreigner. 

These detailed job postings can sometimes be seen in the back financial sections of the Manila Bulletin.  It is interesting seeing how low the wages are for some of the professional positions.