Buying a round trip ticket to the PI

Shoestring
Posted
Posted

Old Hands,

When I buy my roundtrip ticket to the PI, I have to choose a return date.  The problem is I don't know when I'd be returning to the U.S.  Should I choose a return date that is far in the future, like March or April of 2018?  Or should I choose a return date that isn't that far in the future, like June or July of 2017?  When I go to the immigration office, do I always have to have an airplane ticket in hand?  Also, I'm going to look into studying at a university in the PI.  Isabela State University looks like it has the programs that I'd like to choose from.  Their tuition fees are posted on their website, but they advise that foreigners will most definitely pay more than what is posted.  Does anyone have an idea how much more foreigners will pay?  Is it two or three times what is posted?  More than two or three times what is posted?   Thanks for helping me out with these things.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Shoestring said:

Old Hands,

When I buy my roundtrip ticket to the PI, I have to choose a return date.  The problem is I don't know when I'd be returning to the U.S.  Should I choose a return date that is far in the future, like March or April of 2018?  Or should I choose a return date that isn't that far in the future, like June or July of 2017?  When I go to the immigration office, do I always have to have an airplane ticket in hand?  Also, I'm going to look into studying at a university in the PI.  Isabela State University looks like it has the programs that I'd like to choose from.  Their tuition fees are posted on their website, but they advise that foreigners will most definitely pay more than what is posted.  Does anyone have an idea how much more foreigners will pay?  Is it two or three times what is posted?  More than two or three times what is posted?   Thanks for helping me out with these things.

First off you need an onward ticket, not round trip or return. So it can be a ticket to anywhere. Lots of topics on this but normally the airline is the one who will ensure you have it before allowing you to board. The date makes no difference. No you dont need the ticket at immigration to extend your visa. 

The rest is a separate topic. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Shoestring said:

Should I choose a return date that is far in the future, like March or April of 2018?  Or should I choose a return date that isn't that far in the future, like June or July of 2017? 

What is cheaper?  I know some airlines offer deals if you are returning in a specified time so check it all out.  If you can get a 3 week return for about the same as a one way (which occasionally does happen) then go for it.  If you don't go back you can throw the return ticket away.

Shoestring
Posted
Posted

Thank you Jollygoodfellow and Dave Houndriver.  I also posted my second question as a new topic.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I would get the return post dated as far in the future as possible. You are still going to pay to get the date changed on it even if it's just one day. Years ago I actually found an airline that would sell a R/T ticket with the return 16 months out to students, but you have to prove you are a student. One way tickets FROM the Philippines to the US are generally not cheap, and I mean not as cheap as a R/T ticket from the US.

Shoestring
Posted
Posted

Thanks Robert K.  I've been thinking along the same lines.

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

Buy a flex ticket. The price for such a ticket is higher but rebooking is cheap or even free. And it is still cheaper than getting an one-way ticket later if you can not rebook the other ticket.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Dr. Shiva said:

The price for such a ticket is higher but rebooking is cheap or even free.

That works if the OP is sure he will go back sometime within a year.  But if he is thinking of staying longer then the extra money is not good value.  It seems the OP has to decide if he is going back within a year or not before making the decision as to what his best option is.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Airlines are in business to make money. They overcharge for the one way. Of course airlines in the US waste money like drunken sailors, apologies to drunken sailors. I'd have said like oil companies but most people don't know how much money they waste. Both consider it a cost plus, whatever the market will bear business. They don't bother to tighten the belt until the waste becomes so bad the market won't bear them anymore, then they tighten the belt and become profitable again, or the new owner does.

• Like 1