Update 13A Visa Process

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I noticed the pinned 13a process thread is a few years old.  Once I complete my 13a processing, I'll create an updated guide for 2017 expats to follow.  This will include the NBI clearance process too :huh:

While I still question whether the Petitioner's and Applicants joint letter to the BI Commissioner requires a notary stamp, we're doing it anyway.

Hoping I have all my I's dotted and T's crossed, my fingers sure are crossed.  We're leaving at 3am on bus from Cabanatuan to Manila tonight.  Should arrive at NBI Clearance office around 9-10am.  I don't know if any expats have gotten their NBI clearance recently at that office.  I'll find out if their online submission process is easy like I'm hoping and receive clearance certificate same day.  Our plan is to stay in Manila for the night, then take bus next morning to the Angeles BI office and submit 13a application.

I'll keep you posted!

Cheers!

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, ITGeek said:

Hello,

I noticed the pinned 13a process thread is a few years old.  Once I complete my 13a processing, I'll create an updated guide for 2017 expats to follow.  This will include the NBI clearance process too :huh:

While I still question whether the Petitioner's and Applicants joint letter to the BI Commissioner requires a notary stamp, we're doing it anyway.

Hoping I have all my I's dotted and T's crossed, my fingers sure are crossed.  We're leaving at 3am on bus from Cabanatuan to Manila tonight.  Should arrive at NBI Clearance office around 9-10am.  I don't know if any expats have gotten their NBI clearance recently at that office.  I'll find out if their online submission process is easy like I'm hoping and receive clearance certificate same day.  Our plan is to stay in Manila for the night, then take bus next morning to the Angeles BI office and submit 13a application.

I'll keep you posted!

Cheers!

Good idea.  Some things you never know here but I'm sure it can never hurt.  I did my process in the US before arriving and followed everything.  When I arrived in Washington at the embassy everything was approved except the medical form.  The examiner stated the doctors signature needs to be notarized.  I explained that was not part of the instructions and also there was no place on the form for the notary.  He said he understood but was just looking out for me.  Further stating, "you know how the BI can be in the Philippines, I'm just looking out for you because it will be much easier now than later."  Back to get the notary and another trip to Washington and then complete!  No problems here.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I thought I posted a summary of my 13A experience a few months ago, but maybe not.

There was one small annoying surprise at Intramuros that maybe you can avoid, or be more prepared for, or maybe it won't apply at another office.  I think the website says you need 2 legal sized folders, so I had them.  What they neglected to say was that you need those 2 hole metal holders and all of your documents have to have the 2 hole punch.  Of course someone is selling them and you can use their 2 hole punch.  Also, the documents have to be in perfect order and that includes a few you will not have in advance.

This is the type of fastener, but only on one side.

71Yfos65YiL._SL1000_.jpg

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately a lot still depends on the office you go to... and the mood they are in that day....

I did my probationary 13a almost a year ago and everything online said the letter had to be notarized. At our office (Iloilo) they said that it did not have to be notarized but - since it is called a "joint letter" - my wife and I both had to sign it.  That was easier than a notary, so no complaints here.  I just went to NBI a couple weeks ago to get my clearance for my 13a conversion, to permanent.  Of course I have to go back to NBI next month to pick up the clearance.    :tiphat:

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey Guys, this is a great thread started by IT Geek.  Again it all depends on the office you visit regarding what is required.  My question is the NBI clearance.  Can someone explain that process?  Do you need to have a police record from home country first?  

Respectfully Jake 

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jake said:

Hey Guys, this is a great thread started by IT Geek.  Again it all depends on the office you visit regarding what is required.  My question is the NBI clearance.  Can someone explain that process?  Do you need to have a police record from home country first?  

Respectfully Jake 

Jake, I believe it depends on how long you have been in country.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jake said:

Respectfully Jake 

Not sure specifically for the 13A but generally it is in country under 6 months you need clearance from your country, over 6 months NBI.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Not sure specifically for the 13A but generally it is in country under 6 months you need clearance from your country, over 6 months NBI.

Thanks Robert and Always,

Out of curiosity, I did visit their website and this popped up:NBI appointment.JPG

I try to decipher what they actually meant with "NO APPOINTMENT NO ENTRY" with the follow on statement "No appointment will be available on the same day of application".  Huh?  

Anyway before I leave the states, I think it would be much easier for me (like what Intrepid did) to get all this done at the Philippine Consulate in Los Angeles.   I'm considered 13G, a returning Balikbayan (returning countryman).  

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

8 minutes ago, Jake said:

Out of curiosity, I did visit their website and this popped up:

You are supposed to make an appointment on their website.  I filled out the form online, paid (at 7-11), and set an appointment time (you only pick AM or PM).  When I got to NBI they handed me a form at the gate. It had number 53 at the top of it.  Then they tried to put me in line to wait for the computer to do the online form... I was number 53.  I told them I already did the online part and paid. It seemed to confuse them greatly.

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jake said:

Thanks Robert and Always,

Out of curiosity, I did visit their website and this popped up:NBI appointment.JPG

I try to decipher what they actually meant with "NO APPOINTMENT NO ENTRY" with the follow on statement "No appointment will be available on the same day of application".  Huh?  

Anyway before I leave the states, I think it would be much easier for me (like what Intrepid did) to get all this done at the Philippine Consulate in Los Angeles.   I'm considered 13G, a returning Balikbayan (returning countryman).  

Jake, I may be wrong but if you are ever planing to stay/ return for a stay longer than one year it may be easier to get the dual citizenship.  Just something to consider.

• Like 2