What is the "Right Visa"

bows00
Posted
Posted
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 5:14 PM, Shoestring said:

Also, I'm going to look into studying at a university in the PI.  Isabela State University looks like it has the programs that I'd like to choose from. 

I am also planning to attend a university there, but wouldn't you need student visa to attend classes there?

robert k
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, bows00 said:

I am also planning to attend a university there, but wouldn't you need student visa to attend classes there?

I doubt they would decline your money if you were on tourist visa. 

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, robert k said:

Might be something to investigate prior to enrolling. 

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, robert k said:

If memory serves (and often it doesn't), Visa status is part of the application for non-residents. Not sure what the penalty is for accepting a student on a tourist visa for the school. Just like not sure the penalty for a business hiring a worker on a tourist visa. Must be one though, best to be on the right visa, I do not think a student visa is too difficult to obtain. I would think a University would help as they do want your money.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, AlwaysRt said:

If memory serves (and often it doesn't), Visa status is part of the application for non-residents. Not sure what the penalty is for accepting a student on a tourist visa for the school. Just like not sure the penalty for a business hiring a worker on a tourist visa. Must be one though, best to be on the right visa, I do not think a student visa is too difficult to obtain. I would think a University would help as they do want your money.

I'm not going to look it up but I think you may have the cart before the horse. I believe immigration is more concerned that you are going to a real college and not a diploma mill for them to issue you a student visa.

Shoestring
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

I was thinking that I would arrive to the PI on a tourist visa; then, after I check out the school, and after they accept me, I would apply for the student visa.  Is this not a good way to do this?  Would I have to leave the country in order to get the student visa?  Thank you.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, robert k said:

I'm not going to look it up but I think you may have the cart before the horse.

I believe you are right Robert linked is the PI embassy's of Scandinavia  requirements etc with regard to this;

https://www.philembassy.no/consular-services/visa/student-visa

I would presume it counts for all Countries:89:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Shoestring said:

Hi all,

I was thinking that I would arrive to the PI on a tourist visa; then, after I check out the school, and after they accept me, I would apply for the student visa.  Is this not a good way to do this?  Would I have to leave the country in order to get the student visa?  Thank you.

Please read my post just before this and i think it will answer your Question.

also read this about conversion to Student Visa from 9a to 9f;

http://newdelhipe.dfa.gov.ph/index.php/events/80-visa/126-requirements-for-issuance-of-9-a-visa-for-conversion-into-9-f-visa

Hoping we are helping you here 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

best to be on the right visa,

So what about someone who goes to Philippines as a tourist, marries a local girl, takes a few courses in school, works a bit on the side and evangelizes on the boardwalk in the evening.

Should he have

a) Tourist Visa

b) 13a

c) Student Visa

d) Work Visa

e) Missionary Visa

f) Quota Visa

g) Other

And would BI even know what to tell you about that?  :cornflakes:  Just saying its hard to know what is the "right visa" and I bet this is waaaaay off topic so I guess I better move it *sigh*

• Like 4

Shoestring
Posted
Posted

So many rules!  So many regulations!  My head's swimming.  How do I access the BI website to see if the school is accredited?  And did you see the final requirement?  It asks for a plane ticket that is valid until after the completion of the course of study.  A four year plane ticket?  Can't be true!  My other big question is this: how much more than the posted tuition will they charge a foreigner?  Thank you.