What is the "Right Visa"

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Shoestring said:

How do I access the BI website to see if the school is accredited? 

http://immigration.gov.ph/76-accredited-schools  :thumbsup:

Scroll down 

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So what about someone who goes to Philippines as a tourist, marries a local girl, takes a few courses in school, works a bit on the side and evangelizes on the boardwalk in the evening.

Should he have

a) Tourist Visa

b) 13a

c) Student Visa

d) Work Visa

e) Missionary Visa

f) Quota Visa

g) Other

And would BI even know what to tell you about that?  :cornflakes:  Just saying its hard to know what is the "right visa" and I bet this is waaaaay off topic so I guess I better move it *sigh*

Tourist to 13a as 13a covers the rest.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Shoestring said:

So many rules!  So many regulations!  My head's swimming.  How do I access the BI website to see if the school is accredited?  And did you see the final requirement?  It asks for a plane ticket that is valid until after the completion of the course of study.  A four year plane ticket?  Can't be true!  My other big question is this: how much more than the posted tuition will they charge a foreigner?  Thank you.

Pick a couple of schools that offer the courses you are looking for and ask them. They should be able to answer all of your questions. I suspect student visa is significantly less hassle than a 13a.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

You can be guarenteed that if you are on the wrong visa there will be no comeback on the University/Company it will be entirly on your shoulders. And to how much extra they can squeeze out of you over and above the fees. As much as until the pips squeak.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I just did a search on "Silliman visa" to see what would happen. Here is a link to one of the top results describing how to get a student visa. Link is to the University's website https://su.edu.ph/resources/STUDENT_VISA_PROCEDURE_SU.pdf

Shoestring
Posted
Posted

Thank you, everyone.  Studying might be more hassle than it's worth.  I just want to study so that I have something to do.  I just want to learn something new.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Shoestring said:

Thank you, everyone.  Studying might be more hassle than it's worth.  I just want to study so that I have something to do.  I just want to learn something new.

Everyday is a school day in the Philippines. :whistling:

• Like 3

bows00
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Shoestring said:

Studying might be more hassle than it's worth.  I just want to study so that I have something to do.  I just want to learn something new.

Yes, it is not as easy as enrolling in a community college back in the US.  And that is my plan when I retire there too, just want to continue learning new things - something to do to keep me out of the bars.

Thinking of getting the SRRV, that should be enough to attend classes there.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, bows00 said:

just want to continue learning new things - something to do to keep me out of the bars.

There are plenty of on-line classes.  Are you sure its the studies and not the students you want to learn about :hystery:

• Like 3

bows00
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

There are plenty of on-line classes.  Are you sure its the studies and not the students you want to learn about :hystery:

On-line classes in the Philippines?  I thought their internet sucks.  An no, I am not into young catholic boys.

• Like 1