Internet in Luzon.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I know there has been considerable discussions on this topic.  In a couple of months, we will be calling La Union our home.  I have an 'apps box' which allows me to stream lots of movies, tv series, sports, news etc. 

I know the forum is light on members from North/Central Luzon, but am wondering if a decent speed is available in La Union, specifically San Fernando/Bauang areas? I see on one response that fiber  optic is availabe in some areas, is this area one of them?

Thank you.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Mogo, just to keep in the back of your mind, if all else fails and if Globe is offered in your area you can get a globe land line/internet  bundle. That's what I use. 3k peso per month, I can play all my games, stream tv shows and movies and wife can use face book (most important in my home :571c66d400c8c_1(103):). I just don't know if globe is going to be in your area

Good luck

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, scott h said:

Mogo, just to keep in the back of your mind, if all else fails and if Globe is offered in your area you can get a globe land line/internet  bundle. That's what I use. 3k peso per month, I can play all my games, stream tv shows and movies and wife can use face book (most important in my home :571c66d400c8c_1(103):). I just don't know if globe is going to be in your area

Good luck

Thanks Scott will check that out.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

With the way internet is in the Philippines just because your neighbour has something don't naturally assume that you can get it. There is no rhyme nor reason to the availability of internet. Find a house then find what you can get. If you can't get what you want move on and find another house until you meet your requirements.

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted

If you have IM or another you can contact Globe Telecom and ask for an address if the plan you want is available.  I have contacted them several times and usually respond within 24 hours.  Good luck.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I am definitely going to try to find someplace with good broadband, whether I have cable or not, you need a plan B for just about everything in the Philippines.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Thank you all gents.  I just hope Mr. DU30 does get something happening to fix this problem.  Not just for us expats, but if the country wants to 'move up the ladder' it needs strong, reliable internet.

I can understand there is a rather unique problem with there being so many islands in Phils, but there must be an answer.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I lived in San Fernando, La Union 4 years ago. At that time a Smart Data plan for my smart phone worked best. Then I turned the smart phone into a wifi hotspot for my laptop. That worked well for me then. I don't recall what speed I got but in 4 years I expect that the speed will have increased significantly. Probably best if you can get a wired internet service with at least 3Mbs for your streaming video services.

• Like 2

PaulB
Posted
Posted

I live in the Province of Quirino, North Luzon, Near Aglipay and I paid to have them run cable to my house and can get 6mbps speed. This is enough to stream a movie from my TV box and also provides cable TV channels. I did also invest in Cignal Satellite dish for other channels. My TV box gives me ALL UK channels from Sky and also BEIN sports for the Premier League Footy. Also 2000 movies and series on demand. 

I feel as a Brit we don't have a lot of channels on offer in the Philippines through cable or Satellite.

Happy to share in PM the cable supplier and any other info if you like.

Paul

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, PaulB said:

Happy to share in PM the cable supplier and any other info if you like.

There is no problem sharing cable or internet providers here for everyone to see. :thumbsup:

• Like 1