Internet in Luzon.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Odd to me as I thought these Pocket WiFi's were supposed to work Anywhere :89:

I had one with a smart sim right here in the heart of Cebu, Ramos to be exact and it hardly worked at all and more so never worked. 

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

Mogo51, We have been in and out of SFC, Bauang and San Juan for over 5 years, Smart dongle worked fine but as Gary D mentioned at times it slows down, generally before and after school, plan your activity no different do dodging traffic on the roads in peak hour. Dongles are only 200 pesos for 5 days unlimited. In March/April when we were there this time we just used data off our phones (hotspot) and never missed a beat in fact better than the dongle. In Banks Poro SFC, Mum and Dads house they have internet via phone line but I think it's only DSL but may be wrong, costs 1K per month and it works well, over the years I can watch videos on FB or youtube without a hitch but Mum has to keep changing the password as some of the family members give out the password to their cousins and friends, then there can be problems until the password is changed to kick off all the freeloaders.

You are planning to move to Bauang from memory Mogo, (consider further north as your lovely ladies family are in Candon from memory?) (40 minutes extra traffic from Bauang to San Juan) just don't go too far south as I doubt internet will work if at all for you, also watch out for the lovely realestate agent down that way (yes she is lovely) but her better half will try to get you involved in his developments, fools rush in etc etc. Good luck and prosper with your soon to be move, very jealous mate.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If I understand this article correctly, Globe claims to have 100% coverage in Philippines, even on top of a mountain, so there is no need to pay that price for Satellite Internet anywhere you can get a cell phone signal.  But again, someone must be paying it or they would not offer the service.

Dave, the last time I was there there was 0% cell reception around the Twin Lakes area. There may be now but I would take that 100% claim with a 25LB block of salt.:smile:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, robert k said:

If you want to live on top of a mountain but still be connected, there is a price to pay. I knew a few people spending 6k+ php for electricity

It just occurred to me, if you want to live on top of a mountain and still be connected, but there is no cell phone coverage, where da heck you gonna find electricity?  Haul in gas for a generator? Set up a 100K or more solar system? Methinks the few people spending 6k for electricity for their aircon would get a laugh out of the people going to such lengths to live in the mountains and still think they are gonna get electricity, Internet and even cell phone coverage.  Mwah-ha ha!   :SugarwareZ-005:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

live in the mountains and still think they are gonna get electricity, Internet and even cell phone coverage.  Mwah-ha ha!   :SugarwareZ-005:

Yes Dave & Truth in words come from out jesting, It is 2017 and although this is maybe a little Digress, the Younger of my 2 helpers lives in Siaton (Negros Oriental) Up in the Mountains. From the Town it is 2 Rides away one of which is Habal Habal then a 30/40 min walk up to the House (depending on the Weather it could be 1 hour)  which has No Electricity, Running Water and No Cell phone Signal. Can you imagine the Cost to provide the necessary Services to Please one of Us :89:

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It just occurred to me, if you want to live on top of a mountain and still be connected, but there is no cell phone coverage, where da heck you gonna find electricity?  Haul in gas for a generator? Set up a 100K or more solar system? Methinks the few people spending 6k for electricity for their aircon would get a laugh out of the people going to such lengths to live in the mountains and still think they are gonna get electricity, Internet and even cell phone coverage.  Mwah-ha ha!   :SugarwareZ-005:

There IS electricity up around the Twin Lakes Dave, but zero cell reception the last time I was there. If you are still in Sibulan it would make a nice day trip for you..and you could prove me wrong since it's so important to you.:smile:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, robert k said:

you could prove me wrong since it's so important to you.

Hey man, if that's what you think I'll just stop answering your posts and you do likewise.  I thought we were just having fun here but that ain't fun. :571b119686cf7_1(72):

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Hey man, if that's what you think I'll just stop answering your posts and you do likewise.  I thought we were just having fun here but that ain't fun. :571b119686cf7_1(72):

Your reply didn't sound fun Dave. I was questioning Globe's claim of 100% coverage and I have no idea why you went off because I wasn't questioning your relaying of the claim. If you think you shouldn't reply to my posts, use your best judgment.

• Like 1

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Pure curiosity but how far was the cable run, how much, roughly did it cost, did they gouge you on the cost of the coax cable itself?

400 meters length and to install in total cost Php 8,000 and now monthly Php 1,100 with TV and cable channels.

• Like 3

PaulB
Posted
Posted

There is no problem sharing cable or internet providers here for everyone to see. :thumbsup:

All we used a company called Persian Cable but not sure how far they cover. Were very good at coming up with a solution. Made me very popular. Funniest thing was we had more Males watching Miss Universe then we did when we watched Pacquiao fight Bradely!!!