Advice for future move to the Philippines

Stratos
Posted
Posted

My wife and I are thinking to move to the Philippines within the next 15 to 20 years. We are in our mid thirties now and would like some advice on things we need to plan for. My wife is from Metro Manila and we usually visit once a year. Over the last couple years we have really started thinking we'd like to move there. Our plan to raise a family isn't working out due to issues having children and we don't really want to try to adopt. So moving to the Philippines to be around her large family is kind of exciting. I know there is so much to think about. Any advice on things like immigrating there and what is needed to do so would be appreciated. My wife is a U.S. citizen now and we're wondering how that would affect her status if we move there. We would also like to know from real people that have experience about legal issues like buying and owning property over there. Any information about rather we would be better off to buy or rent would be nice as well. Basically anything that would be helpful would be appreciated. Plus any information on the best way to handle transferring funds from the US to there if we decide to do so would be nice. Thanks all

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Stratos, welcome to the forum. You kame to the right place to ask questions, you might not like some of the answers but members here will do their best to give their honest opinions.

First off, if you have never been here to the Philippines, and your wife is Filipina by birth, I would suggest you take a long vacation here to see if you like it. As a Filipina your wife can avail herself of a balikbayan visa, as her husband you would be included. You can stay here for 12 months with out worries, that should give you enough time to explore and find out if the Philippines is really for you. Becoming a dual citizen will NOT effect her USA sitenship

20 minutes ago, Stratos said:

transferring funds

My first reaction is "Forget about it!" Becoming a full Filipino citizen if very hard, almost impossible in my view. Your wife can become a dual Phil/American citizen then you can become a legal resident (search 13a visa) which will allow you to work here.

20 minutes ago, Stratos said:

transferring funds

There are almost as many methods as there are expats living here, lots of topics about that here. Let it suffice for now that unless you have some sever finical problems, to me this would be way down the list of problems.

The above answers are just a teaser really. All of us have gone through the preliminary phase of moving here and questions are many. I would suggest that you use the search engine to see if your question has been addressed, or start a new topic with each question. Multiple questions tend to get meandering answers (like this one :hystery:)

Again, welcome to the forum

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Stratos said:

My wife and I are thinking to move to the Philippines within the next 15 to 20 years. We are in our mid thirties now and would like some advice on things we need to plan for. My wife is from Metro Manila and we usually visit once a year. Over the last couple years we have really started thinking we'd like to move there. Our plan to raise a family isn't working out due to issues having children and we don't really want to try to adopt. So moving to the Philippines to be around her large family is kind of exciting. I know there is so much to think about. Any advice on things like immigrating there and what is needed to do so would be appreciated. My wife is a U.S. citizen now and we're wondering how that would affect her status if we move there. We would also like to know from real people that have experience about legal issues like buying and owning property over there. Any information about rather we would be better off to buy or rent would be nice as well. Basically anything that would be helpful would be appreciated. Plus any information on the best way to handle transferring funds from the US to there if we decide to do so would be nice. Thanks all

Welcome

My first suggest is while you wait replies is to read the many topics here and you will find many answers. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'd add to that everything will change well before then so for now the only advice I'd give is save as much money now as it will lubricate your future and give you hundreds more options. 

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Agree with above. I would be looking into it possibly 2 years ahead of the move to see if it is the correct move. So much you learn today is going to be totally wrong in 10-15 years. Not to be a damper, welcome and I hope you stick around.:smile:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Welcome.jpg :89: Hmmmm Advice for 2 years time 

1.Plenty Of Money

2.Plenty of Patience

3.The biggest slice of humour you can  Find cos you will I feel need all three But In all seriousness, come with an Open mind and you will be fine.  Don't let all the bad things you may hear or read sway you, there are many more good Things also.:thumbsup:

Jack:mellow:

Touch of the Mote Zoomers this Afternoon.:rolleyes: ( warm beer last night I think did it.)

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Moving in 15- 20 years time,

I wonder how many changers there will be by then,

• Like 3

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

Firstly welcome to this forum, all your answers are within this site and many others, research research and again research as we do, Google is our/your best friend. Hmmm 15 to 20 years? Wow, you should be a CEO with Apple, they planned and planned then brought back the big gun. I plan for 2, 5 and 10 years ahead, relative to where we are now, our aspirations immediate and long term, in the mean time I/we could be dead. Focus on your life where you are now and your continued existence. Having children if that's what you want is wonderful/fantastic, for me, 5 years before the first child, then 6 years before the second child, all worth the wait and time with my then wife. 2 wonderful children.

I keep thinking and coming back to your 15 to 20 year plan (f+c+ that's a long time) of moving to/living in the Philippines, come back in 5, 10 or 15 years when you have a children in primary or high school and let me/us know where you are at. I dearly hope your retirement and financials are planned accordingly, God helps those that help themselves and Christ helps those that get caught.

Only an opinion from a lowly Aussie but I think you ask for info that will be a little, ha outdated when you (considering) are asking for information on lifestyle choices in a country totally alien to yours an mine 15 or 20 years down the track when you for see your time/need to move. A dream I have and am in the midst of fulfilling but I have to say 10 years ago had never been to the Philippines and was at the bottom of my bucket list.

Good luck with your plans.

Cheers, Steve. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, stevewool said:

Moving in 15- 20 years time,

I wonder how many changers there will be by then,

Well I doubt there will be this Jack still about to buy a beer:hystery:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Jeez, by the time you guys get here I will have had my fun and moved to an old codgers home in Canada.  Come young, live fun and fast, wear it out with hard use, then go back west and live on the government tit.  Waiting until you are past it to move here seems silly to me.

:nudie::SugarwareZ-005: :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681: :crack-up:

• Like 3