Head Scratcher

mogo51
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jake said:

Hey guys, I re-read Cave Man's post and locked on the word "support".  For many locals, that usually means like supporting a family with one or more of your "offsprings".  

If this relationship is worth saving, perhaps a threesome get together and discuss the truth, which may be still hidden?  

A threesome Jake, don't think that would work????

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

Why are Aussies 'tighwad' as you suggest Dave.  Tipping is not common in Australia

I cannot answer the why.  I can only say that we are not in our home countries any more and I notice many of my Australian friends tipping far less (in some cases nothing at all) than other cultures.  I suggest that we all learn to tip appropriate to the country we are living in.  I tip much less in Philippines than I do in Canada.

Thus I humorously call the Aussies 'tight' while I see many Americans as 'foolishly over-tipping' but these are just personal observations that form a personal opinion.  Europeans seem to learn fast.  It may be because they are used to travelling to many different countries through Europe and thus the expression "When in Rome  . . . ."

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I suggest that we all learn to tip appropriate to the country we are living in.

For me I agree but my wife would disagree somewhat, She will always ask shall we leave something, My answer is did we enjoy?

Knowing a little from my own Business how some Establishment owners treat staff I always like to leave something My wife tells me that this Tipping thing is fairly new here n the Philippines and it is not generally expected;

*Overall, tipping is usually not expected so the staff are not offended when you do not give a tip. Do not feel pressured to leave a tip if the service was poor

.*https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294245-s606/Philippines:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html

As was said we are Travelling the World and it is getting smaller in that respect.

Manila seems to be the Place demanding Tips yet there are not many places that do not add a service Charge So, what does one Do?

We have been around the Block many times on this one and although I am not a Tightwad I am certainly not a Big Tipper

Jack:89:

Morning All:morning1:

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I agree Jack.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Can I jump in and shout " Off topic?" :whistling: 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Why? it is about tipping or so I thought Scratching Head.jpg But then:hystery:

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Why? it is about tipping or so I thought Scratching Head.jpg But then:hystery:

Is it about tipping or the size of your tip????? :whistling:

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, mogo51 said:

A threesome Jake, don't think that would work????

You know me too well Mogo but I need to be a good boy.....he, haw.  

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Well the opening poster has not been back to give any feedback so it seems there is nothing more "on topic" to add until then.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I cannot answer the why.  I can only say that we are not in our home countries any more and I notice many of my Australian friends tipping far less (in some cases nothing at all) than other cultures.

To me it's an introduced culture to the Philippines by countries that tip. Almost every night I sit in that BBQ place having a few beers and watching what goes on and most Filippino take all their change so why do some westerns think they are still in their country and feel it's mandatory to tip? In the US I recall reading a waiter having a very low wage of about $10 an hour and rely on tips for a decent income. In Australia that waiter would be getting maybe $25 an hour (depending on age) so it's not tip based. Here I've seen people leave a tip like as much as the waiter would normally make in a day but I doubt they would give a day's wage to a waiter in their own country. All has to be put in perspective, Cebu minimum waiter wage is P375 a day so thats the going rate. The other day I seen an ad wanting 20 labours for flood control work with a P230 a day wage so in comparison the waiter here is not doing to bad. 

The same conversation came up with myself, a Brit and a canadian just last week. The question I put to the Canadian is , do you tip over the road in Mc Donalds? the answer was no so I asked why? no reply but that girl is waiting on you, serving you so where is the difference? What about in the department store and the sales girl sells you a suitcase, she will have a low wage and she has shown you 20 cases and helped you select then took it to the cashier but at the end of the day she will go home with whatever the going rate is. 

just to add, do people tip out in the provinces ? 

• Like 5