Head Scratcher

Gary D
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

To me it's an introduced culture to the Philippines by countries that tip. Almost every night I sit in that BBQ place having a few beers and watching what goes on and most Filippino take all their change so why do some westerns think they are still in their country and feel it's mandatory to tip? In the US I recall reading a waiter having a very low wage of about $10 an hour and rely on tips for a decent income. In Australia that waiter would be getting maybe $25 an hour (depending on age) so it's not tip based. Here I've seen people leave a tip like as much as the waiter would normally make in a day but I doubt they would give a day's wage to a waiter in their own country. All has to be put in perspective, Cebu minimum waiter wage is P375 a day so thats the going rate. The other day I seen an ad wanting 20 labours for flood control work with a P230 a day wage so in comparison the waiter here is not doing to bad. 

The same conversation came up with myself, a Brit and a canadian just last week. The question I put to the Canadian is , do you tip over the road in Mc Donalds? the answer was no so I asked why? no reply but that girl is waiting on you, serving you so where is the difference? What about in the department store and the sales girl sells you a suitcase, she will have a low wage and she has shown you 20 cases and helped you select then took it to the cashier but at the end of the day she will go home with whatever the going rate is. 

just to add, do people tip out in the provinces ? 

Us Brits are not natural tippers, we have taught the Aussis well. The only place I will tip in the UK is a restaraunt but only if no service charge.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

The only place I will tip in the UK is a restaraunt but only if no service charge.

I'm a displace Brit so things may have changed but I remember hearing my Mum and Dad complaining about having to tip the dustman or he would not pick up the trash.  And having to tip the gas meter reader to make sure he didn't cut the gas off.  It seems like there was a tipping culture back then, but again, I am Canadian now and its got real bad with restaurants and cabbies but most other trades don't get tipped.   Oh yeah, tour bus drivers and their tour guides often get a tip.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Oh yeah, tour bus drivers and their tour guides often get a tip.

Only cos you had a Gun :hystery:

OK, OK, I know the drill.close the door.jpg  Mutter, Mutter, mutter bin here a long time and they still don't accept/understand me.  Hmmm well maybe a few:huh:

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I'm a displace Brit so things may have changed but I remember hearing my Mum and Dad complaining about having to tip the dustman or he would not pick up the trash.  And having to tip the gas meter reader to make sure he didn't cut the gas off.  It seems like there was a tipping culture back then, but again, I am Canadian now and its got real bad with restaurants and cabbies but most other trades don't get tipped.   Oh yeah, tour bus drivers and their tour guides often get a tip.

Dustmen used to get tips at Chrismas when they collected the bin from your backdoor. Now a days we have to push the bin to the curb so when there are 4-5 bins altogether they don't know whose it is. Meter reading is now either done remote or by the user submitting the readings online, and do they have coach trips anymore.

Edited by Gary D
  • Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

To me it's an introduced culture to the Philippines by countries that tip. Almost every night I sit in that BBQ place having a few beers and watching what goes on and most Filippino take all their change so why do some westerns think they are still in their country and feel it's mandatory to tip? In the US I recall reading a waiter having a very low wage of about $10 an hour and rely on tips for a decent income. In Australia that waiter would be getting maybe $25 an hour (depending on age) so it's not tip based. Here I've seen people leave a tip like as much as the waiter would normally make in a day but I doubt they would give a day's wage to a waiter in their own country. All has to be put in perspective, Cebu minimum waiter wage is P375 a day so thats the going rate. The other day I seen an ad wanting 20 labours for flood control work with a P230 a day wage so in comparison the waiter here is not doing to bad. 

The same conversation came up with myself, a Brit and a canadian just last week. The question I put to the Canadian is , do you tip over the road in Mc Donalds? the answer was no so I asked why? no reply but that girl is waiting on you, serving you so where is the difference? What about in the department store and the sales girl sells you a suitcase, she will have a low wage and she has shown you 20 cases and helped you select then took it to the cashier but at the end of the day she will go home with whatever the going rate is. 

just to add, do people tip out in the provinces ? 

In  Dalaguete it was expected in foreign owned bars/restaurants but not by local bars.The girls in the foreigner bars were paid more than the girls in local bars.

• Like 2