Laptop Cooling

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, robert k said:

Not placing the laptop on a soft surface and cutting airflow to the vents /raising a stationary laptop to improve airflow because the feet on the underside of a laptop are generally the absolute minimum necessary to allow air into the unit because manufacturers like to tell how thin their product is. 4 bottle caps would probably work.

This is my biggest effort. Several years ago now, I bought 4 - 1" furniture leg/floor protectors. Plastic ones made to slip over the chair/table legs so they do not scratch the floor. The version I have are felt bottom instead of metal disc/wheel etc. All I do is slid them under my laptop on whatever hard surface it is sitting on and poof, 1" air circulation under the laptop.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Wow good stuff to consider what with the heat over there. Thanks for that gonna share with my family 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I use a laptop as the computer with a separate monitor and keyboard so the actual laptop sits down on the table supports which in this case are 2 metal bars so lots of air under and perhaps 6 inches off the floor. If i was using it as a laptop as such the first thing I would do as it's been suggested is to raise it from the desk or what it is sitting on. Good advice from Robert. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Great advice Robert!  Besides periodic vacuum job on the fan grill, I also reduce the brightness and contrast of the screen.  I also would recommend having a voltage regulator to power up your critical electronics.  Heat, humidity and voltage spikes are killers of these devices.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jake said:

Besides periodic vacuum job on the fan grill

Is that better than just blowing it because I don't have a vacuum hear so I just blow the dust off. :popcorn:

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Is that better than just blowing it because I don't have a vacuum hear so I just blow the dust off. :popcorn:

I........ will resist what I was going to post.....

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

As long as I use the cooling pad with my laptop it is ok.  But I cannot play graphically intense games like Guild Wars 2...  bummer.

My desktop pc is still hanging around. I had it 2 or 3 years in the US and over 4 years here... I am really surprised it still running.  The only way I can play Guild Wars or render a video is if I leave the side panel off and put a small 6" desk fan nearby. The 3 internal fans are not enough here.  :tiphat:

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I had someone else remind me to take the battery out of the laptop if it's removable, and the laptop is stationary. My new laptop it's built in so I can't remove the battery (easily) but my old one has removable battery and I looked and there is a large gap around the power pins and I can actually see the motherboard. This would certainly admit more air.

• Like 3

Reboot
Posted
Posted

The dust is a big deal too. My GF runs an internet cafe, no aircon, and she is always having to dust out the internals on the computers. Heat and dust..the two big enemies of computers. She's a killer troubleshooter though. Very good at fixing PCs. 

• Like 3