Palawan warning.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

We were planning to spend a week visiting Palawan next summer. 

Reboot
Posted
Posted

I was there just last fall. 

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Maybe you mean the "non-tourist" areas.  It seems the tourist areas is the target now.  They may be thinking they can blend in better, grab a hostage, and easily escape back to their "home base" because of less security sometimes in these tourist areas.  Also less developed could mean better hiding places and escape routes.

Sorry badly worded.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Dave Jo
Posted
Posted

Just want to say that i have lived in Puerto Princesa, Palawan for over 20 years and since the warnings by various governments life continues as usual and we have certainly seen no difference in living here in the last few months.  Everything seems to be normal but there are fewer tourists now and some establishments are suffering. However i have met several tourists recently and they have enjoyed their vacation and never felt in any danger. None of my ex-pat friends are concerned about these warnings. I have also toured the south on motorbike and met friendly people everywhere, irrespective of their religion. About 20 years ago the A Sayyaf kidnapped about 30 people from Dos Palmos resort but absolutely nobody has been kidnapped since then on the island of Palawan. Yes, a couple have been kidnapped at sea, while on their yachts. 

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Ive been to Palawan three times but only been South of Narra once with some locals. They advised me to keep a low profile. 

I was also speaking to a yacht owner in Boracay whose been living on board for the best part of 20 years. He's had four friends kidnapped and he was telling me the South West of Palawan is pretty much a no go area now for any sensible sailor. His contacts and the coastal protection guys warned him to leave as ISIS has been getting a foot hold there and paying local fishermen for information as to sightings of tourist yachts. 

Add to this the NPA are becoming more public with their violence. A training camp in the South has just recently been captured by the Philippines special forces. www.update.ph/2017/06/military-captures-12-hectare-npa-training-camp/

• Like 1

Dave Jo
Posted
Posted

Yes, Snowy , i agree that sailors on their yachts should avoid sailing the seas in the south of Palawan. The NPA announced that they will not harm the local people as their fight is with the government forces such as the military and police. In my opinion i would not hesitate to visit anywhere north of Brooke's Point. I do have a friend who stays in the south of Brooke's Point and he does not have a problem, but i do agree that one should be vigilant in the south.

• Like 2