Jury Duty Notice in The States

russellmania
Posted
Posted

A friend of mine in Texas got a jury duty notice and that got me to thinking. I still use my Moms address in the USA. What if I got a jury notice to appear but im here in the Philippines? I know on the form they have a few ways to be excempt, but I dont think livin it up in the Phils for 9 months a year will work for me:thumbsup:. Anyone ever got  jury duty notice and what did you do about it.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

That happened to me. I just contacted the court by email and informed them I was living outside of the US for an extended period.

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, russellmania said:

A friend of mine in Texas got a jury duty notice and that got me to thinking. I still use my Moms address in the USA. What if I got a jury notice to appear but im here in the Philippines? I know on the form they have a few ways to be excempt, but I dont think livin it up in the Phils for 9 months a year will work for me:thumbsup:. Anyone ever got  jury duty notice and what did you do about it.

Part of my job before retirement in Maryland was searching for those people who did not respond to the letter from the court for jury duty.  Each state has different ways to call you up for jury service.  Usually it is one or a combination of, driver's license, voter registration, and tax records.  Yes there are ways to be exempted.  However, that exemption has to be granted by the court.  Just because the letter says you may be exempted is not a for sure thing.  You must fill out the form and request the exemption.  I would follow up with a call to the court clerks office.  Each state is different and if you are using an address where you want to keep in good standing, make sure you follow up.  After retirement I changed my residence to Florida from Maryland.  Within a few months of moving to the Philippines I received my first ever in my life a summons for jury duty,..in Florida of course.  By the time I received the forwarded letter I was 4 days past the required appearance date.  Boy was I puckered.  I called the clerks office first thing Monday morning.  The clerk told me not to worry and just forget it.  I said "what"?  Do I need to send a letter or anything.  I asked this because in Maryland this is grounds for the Judge to issue a warrant to have you picked up.  She said no, don't worry, they no longer issue warrants in Florida for FTA(Failing to Appear), for jury duty.  As a matter of fact she also told me if I do receive another in the future, just ignore it, they have plenty of retired people inf Florida who enjoy serving. Again, this was Clay County Florida.  This would not happen in Maryland!

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Americans have a right to a jury of their peers. I am thankful for that right and will serve when called, and do my small part for justice. I have always hoped to judge a bad law and hang a jury and let someone go free who hasn't actually harmed anyone. However, if I were outside the country on the other side of the world for an extended time, I would consider taking measures to excuse myself.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Reboot said:

I have always hoped to judge a bad law and hang a jury and let someone go free who hasn't actually harmed anyone.

Unfortunately if the prosecutor knows you are an advocate for jury nullification you will be excused from jury duty. Jury nullification is one reason that alcohol prohibition was overturned. It was getting hard to get jury's to convict someone on alcohol charges during alcohol prohibition.

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, earthdome said:

Unfortunately if the prosecutor knows you are an advocate for jury nullification you will be excused from jury duty. Jury nullification is one reason that alcohol prohibition was overturned. It was getting hard to get jury's to convict someone on alcohol charges during alcohol prohibition.

Same with juries refusing to prosecute those aiding runaway slaves.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I still use a Texas address for my driver's license, bank, and voter's ID... I keep expecting a jury summons but have not gotten one.  In my county it is easy to go online and fill out an excuse form.  I loved serving when I was in the US. I would get called every time I voted...but they swear it has nothing to do with it... just a coincidence. :tiphat:  

• Like 1

russellmania
Posted
Posted

Tim if you get a jury summons while you are in the Philippines,how would you handle it?

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I would go online and tell them I was out of the country. It would not be a problem.  My son was just out of town for college and there is a checkbox on the online excuse form for 'away at school'.

• Like 2

russellmania
Posted
Posted

Folks always trying to get out of jury duty, so you dont think they will ask for any kind of proof? Or they will trust people not to lie about not being available to serve?

• Like 2