Aircon Sizing - Your Thoughts as a User?

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, robert k said:

If you are leaving it when you move, I'd be looking for a new landlord. Two AHU inside shouldn't be a problem.

The choice was pay extra rent or buy my own and take it when we move. We plan on being here long enough that paying the extra rent would more than pay what I will (I think) be paying for an aircon. So buying a unit should be cheaper in the long run, plus I own it.

Anyone know of any aircon brand particularly good and economical? 2hp, split, inverter.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

In Australia I had a refrigerated one with compressor, not water cooled. Only good for a small room.

I did consider that but could not find any except for the water cooler type - which are easy to find.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

What would you suggest?

Always, when I built our house, I used the KISS rule. I just went to the SM appliance store, told the rep the size of our rooms to be air conned and went with what the specs for the split air  said. Haven't had any problems in almost 5 years

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, scott h said:

Always, when I built our house, I used the KISS rule. I just went to the SM appliance store, told the rep the size of our rooms to be air conned and went with what the specs for the split air  said. Haven't had any problems in almost 5 years

I was planning on shopping that way, went to Du Ek Sam appliances across from their Honda dealership in Dumaguete after getting my 1st service done on the XR150. Confidence was Not instilled in me as I got the 'sorry sir, I only sell this brand and the person selling that brand is not here'. I had no questions after that, just left.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

Air conditioners? I have seen the portable air coolers - based on same principle as western US 'swamp coolers' which are not very effective in a humid environment.

NO, I did mean air conditioners not air coolers.

Go to the LG web site and read how it works. 

All different sizes for any of your needs. 

Technology  may surprise you.

It doesn't hurt to check it out.

It's not my problem as I have a very good air conditioner.

Just trying to be helpful.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

NO, I did mean air conditioners not air coolers.

Go to the LG web site and read how it works. 

All different sizes for any of your needs. 

Technology  may surprise you.

It doesn't hurt to check it out.

It's not my problem as I have a very good air conditioner.

Just trying to be helpful.

Thanks, all I see on the LG website is window and split only http://www.lg.com/ph/residential-air-conditioners are you looking at US instead of Philippines site or did I jig when I should have jagged?

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Thanks, all I see on the LG website is window and split only http://www.lg.com/ph/residential-air-conditioners are you looking at US instead of Philippines site or did I jig when I should have jagged?

LG has more than one web site. 

Look at the one that shows different models then at the bottom it ex[plains the technology. 

Definitely not swamp coolers.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I have a Simplicity portable 4 in 1 a/c, 12,000 BTU (a/c, dehumidifier, air purifier, and 3 speed fan) designed for 500 sq ft rooms. It has the hose in hose out system and works very well. I use it in my condo just a few days a year when they do the change over from cool to heat to cool to heat if it is too early or too late for my tastes (or feels). In the bedroom with the door closed, it will cool easily and cycle but with the door open, it will run steady trying to cool the entire condo unit. Energy consumption is not a factor as I don't have a separate meter ( I wish that I did for the 6 months that I am in the Philippines).

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, jpbago said:

I have a Simplicity portable 4 in 1 a/c, 12,000 BTU (a/c, dehumidifier, air purifier, and 3 speed fan) designed for 500 sq ft rooms. It has the hose in hose out system and works very well. I use it in my condo just a few days a year when they do the change over from cool to heat to cool to heat if it is too early or too late for my tastes (or feels). In the bedroom with the door closed, it will cool easily and cycle but with the door open, it will run steady trying to cool the entire condo unit. Energy consumption is not a factor as I don't have a separate meter ( I wish that I did for the 6 months that I am in the Philippines).

Where did you buy it, how much was it? The dehumidifiers I found cost the same or more than a split aircon unit.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Where did you buy it, how much was it? The dehumidifiers I found cost the same or more than a split aircon unit.

In Toronto, years ago for around $400.