Antenna Mounting Hardware

ITGeek
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello,

I've been trying to put up an 20ft 3/4" rigid steel antenna mast, but having difficulty finding hardware that's easy to find in US.  I'm mounting the mast to the side of my house using concrete bolts.  I need a few pair of those "antenna mast clamps", the ones with jagged teeth.  I've attached and example pic, I just need the clamps, but it's ok if they include u-bolts, they'll just be paperweights.  As I have no need for u-bolts they are no use as I'm using concrete bolts into side of house to mount the mast.

Does anyone here know where I could get at least 6 of those clamps to fit my 3/4" OD steel pipe around Central Luzon?  I'm going to Angeles BI office within next week so anyplace there would be ideal.  If anyone on here is into HAM radio, then you might know local contacts who could acquire some of them.  I'd be willing to send funds for purchase and shipping via LBC.

Thanks!

414Po1MjFIL.jpg

Edited by ITGeek
fixed typo
  • Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I had to bring a set with me from the UK, they don't use them on bamboo poles.

• Like 4

roddavis
Posted
Posted

Another quick fix is find some threaded bolts 6-8 inches long. Cut off the head of the bolt so just have a threaded bolt. Bend around mast so you now have a threaded U-Bolt. Cut a piece of metal(drill 2 holes). Install plate with a couple of nuts. Walah! Threaded U-bolt keeps mast from turning!:Yes:

• Like 2

ITGeek
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Gary D said:

I had to bring a set with me from the UK, they don't use them on bamboo poles.

At least with bamboo poles, they don't make as good lighting rods :ohmy:.  I got a great deal on an engineering sample from friend in HK, it's an OEM (Dahua SD6AL630F-HNI IPCAM) for $250 USD.  The bad part is PI Customs charged me 12k PHP duties on it!  They retail in US for over $2000 USD.  Customs value was $1,200 USD they didn't give me a waiver for personal use.  You know how PI's love to really slap duties on camera's and electronics

When I opened up the thing up, I thought they shipped me a TADS (Target Acquisition and Designation Sight) from a Predator/Global Hawk drone. Unfortunately, my mast is going to have to support a WX sensor @ ~ 1kg and the bowling ball sized and weight IPCAM @ 7 kg.  I'll include a link to the IPCAM's capability and you'll know why I want to mount it up high.  I've done a few HAM radio tower and other similar installs, so I'm familiar with British Lightning Standards (BS 6651:1999).  It will be impressive to ID objects from a 1000m distance, even in low light.

Example of Dahua SD6AL230F-HNI PTZ capabilities (not including starlight capabilities)

Edited by ITGeek
spellchecker - typo

ITGeek
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, roddavis said:

Another quick fix is find some threaded bolts 6-8 inches long. Cut off the head of the bolt so just have a threaded bolt. Bend around mast so you now have a threaded U-Bolt. Cut a piece of metal(drill 2 holes). Install plate with a couple of nuts. Walah! Threaded U-bolt keeps mast from turning!:Yes:

It's not the turning I'm worried about, it has to support about 10kg's of total weight.  That's why I want those "crocodile teeth clamps" to grip down on the steel pipe so it doesn't slip or slide.  I thought about using those aircon 'L' brackets with U-bolts, but thing best it to use multiple mount points up along wall for strength.  In addition I'll have multiple guy wires for extra stability.  It should easily withstand winds up to 100 kph.  If a typhoon is heading my way (already had two last year), I'll lower it to avoid any possible damage.  Although I think my design could hold up to gusts of 150 kph.  Best to be safe than sorry, especially the cost it would take to replace this item.

I even had drawn a design using motor with chain pulley/gear system to raise/lower the camera.  I could even use software with my WX monitor to automatically lower the cam if the wind gusts exceed 60kph for safety.  But too much extra cost, engineering and lack of suppliers here made me scratch that idea.

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hmm......very interesting ITGeek -- being able to zoom in at 1000 meters (3280 feet) will be awesome!  Are you also going to attach an antenna for ham operations?  By the way, do you need special permits for all this?  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I would take your picture to a machine shop and explain why you need such a strong mount.  The craftsmen here are incredibly talented and will build you what you need.

• Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I would take your picture to a machine shop and explain why you need such a strong mount.  The craftsmen here are incredibly talented and will build you what you need.

That or to one of the numerous metal fabrication / welding shops. Seems like the places that fabricate the metal bars for windows are all over. In addition to what Mike said about them being talented, they're also inexpensive. 

• Like 2

ITGeek
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jake said:

Hmm......very interesting ITGeek -- being able to zoom in at 1000 meters (3280 feet) will be awesome!  Are you also going to attach an antenna for ham operations?  By the way, do you need special permits for all this?  

I'd need to obtain a HAM license for transmitter, besides left my HAM gear back in US.  However, I do have a USB SDR (Software Defined Radio) that can receive from 160M band (1000 KHz) to 1.2 GHz.  There are even software plugins for direct downloads of WX satellites when birds are overhead and tracking aircraft decoding their ADS-B (telemetry data).  I mostly listen to the 40m and 20M bands for US DoD traffic broadcasts.  8992 KHz and 10775 KHz are the "Skyking" frequencies used for DEFCON messages.  Single or double "Skyking" or other station callsigns followed by 16-20 character alphanumeric codes are usually testing/normal traffic messages.  If you hear four "Skyking" callsigns announced it's time to head to your doom bunker. 

As far as my barangay, I'm the one foreigner they like the most.  Konti sa lank tagalog ko and it goes a long ways.  I also allow them to use my HD drone pics for on their webpage.  Everyone, especially the mga bata love it when I fly my drone.  I'll add my youtube channel link at end, it has some of my drone videos on there.  Once I get my webpage online, I'll send links to the neighbors so they can see the weather and WX webcam.  I also have an extra WX sensor and webcam I'll offer the owner of clubhouse to mount it there for people to view weather conditions there as well.

First link is to my WX station including WX webcam, but it's mounted on my balcony, not on mast yet:
The North Grove, Cabanatuan WX Station

Last link is to my YouTube channel so you can see some of my drone videos:
Agent MIB YouTube Channel (Drone Videos + more)

• Like 2

ITGeek
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gator said:

That or to one of the numerous metal fabrication / welding shops. Seems like the places that fabricate the metal bars for windows are all over. In addition to what Mike said about them being talented, they're also inexpensive. 

That's what the guy at hardware store mentioned.   The one shop I never took in high school was metal shop, so I don't know how to weld, only solder electronics.  However, I have another idea that may work.  I'll try standard heavy duty conduit clamps, drill holes in center into the pipe and use metal screws.  Using at least 8 of those along wall I think will give it enough strength to not slip or slide.  For my test run, I'm going to try it mounting it to backside of my balcony.  I can see how well it will hold, plus it's easy to attach a chain for safety purposes so it doesn't fall over/down

EDIT:  If I go with metal fabrication solution, I'll have them build me the motor with chain/pulley system.  That is best solution, but also more pera.  I'm currently living on savings account only, fighting my with my former employer's disability insurance and awaiting for SSDI payments to start.  I've heard it takes at least 6 mo's before they start payments from being approved.   At least I'll get lump sum payment back to either Feb 2014 or March 2015. 

Edited by ITGeek
typo and added info
  • Like 1